Windows 7 question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeweez

Solid State Member
Hello all. I have a quick question. I just built my very first computer and it turns on and everything. Now, I need a OS and I want to get Windows 7 for it but I am confused with something....

Some of the Windows 7 says "System Builder" Which I assume is for new computer so I should get that one, right? Or get the one that says "Windows 7 Upgrade"

Does it make a diffrence? I know this question might sound silly but I just want to makre sure :)

This is the version I plan on buying so just want to make sure.

This will go on a built system.

If my knowledge is correct, yes that is the version you want to get if your building a new computer. The upgrade version would be if you already had say, Windows Vista, on the computer and you wanted to upgrade to Windows 7. The system building version I believe is the OEM version of 7, which is cheaper than buying a retail version. You will get just the disk and a product key, no other documentation. The difference I between OEM and retail is that when you get a OEM version, once you use it on a machine it will be licensed to that machine and not transferable to another machine, but I someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Edit: Here's a link to a question of microsofts website about the difference between the two.
How exactly does Windows 7 Retail vs OEM - Microsoft Answers

Molsen is correct. You need the System Builder. You do not have a previous OS on there, so there is nothing to upgrade. You can not run a fresh install with 7 Upgrade DVD.

The system builder version is the OEM version. You should know up front that you will only be able to use this serial on this pc and this pc alone. You will not be able to transfer this license to any other pc. It will be tied to the mobo and will live and die with that mobo and that mobo alone.

So you have 2 options. 1. get the OEM and not be able to ue it in the future or 2. get a full retail copy and be able to transfer it to another pc in the future.

Those are the optins just know that the full retail option still means only one pc with the serial at any time.

Yeah your going to need to buy the full retail copy of it. I suggest getting some looking for computer coupons and see if you can get a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom