win 98 to win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

arctic388

In Runtime
i have a eMachines 500a and it has serious issues and was wondering if i just got a copy of Win XP and put on it would it help anything. ever since i've had to use the restore CD is when the problems got worse. i have done the restore CD probably 4 times and it never works good after that.

is it feasible ?
how do i do it ?

Your best bet is to format and then re install Windows.

XP will not run well on a PC with less than 512 of ram.

i only have the resotre CD and i've done that already. i dont have a seperate copy of windows. and by what i have read the restore cd's dont always have the full copy.
right now i dont do anything except internet browsing.

i dint even think about not enough memory but my Sis-in-law has a pc with like 98MB or something like that. its a really old one and it has XP on it. all they do with it is word processing and play solitaire. dont even have internet on it.

i was just hoping a new OS would help me till i can save up to build me a decent one.

before i was just freezing so i bought a new modem and it worked great connected fast everytime but as soon as i loaded the fax software that came with my printer it connects slower everytime now and it disconnects all the time. it never did with old modem i could be on for hours and it never lose connection.

right now i have 198MB

jeez you got weird memory, usually its like 64, 128, 256, 512, and 1gb but 98, and 198, i dont think that is right

i had the one that came with it which is 64mb then i added a 128mb. i have 2 -128 sticks of pc133 but i was told maybe that was why it was freezing and i can alternate each of the two 128's and it does ok but still freezes with either of them and the 64. now if i have both the 128's in it freezes sooner and makes it almost not useable. something i just thought of but have not tried is just going back to the 64 by itself and see what happens. it is pc100 but i've been told the pc133 doesnt matter in my system. it should still work. the pc i got the 128's from worked fine and still does when i put them back into that one.

i will try just the 64 when i get home and see what happens.

as long as all ya'll hang around to get me set-up i think i'll try it. i need XP for my build anyway.

is it just as simple as putting in a disk and letting it go to work ?

simply put, you restart your computer, set the BIOS to boot from CD. Your XP disk will ask questions, such as the hard drive to put XP on, and simple things.

Installing XP is really easy, i'm suprised people call in a computer shop to install it :D

Make sure you have at least 6GB of hard drive space to install XP with all updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom