Will it Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fury36

In Runtime
Ive just got a new motherboard, processor and case, but ive got the same hard-drive, will it work without re-installing windows or anything?

No. Windows will not adjust to a radical change like that, unless you upgraded to similar hardware (not likely). If it did work, it would be slow as molasses.

I think you should start your non-upgraded computer, back up your data to a second hdd, cd, or dvd, and then upgrade and do a fresh installation.

-Sevoma

Ok, thanks allot for the help, one problem tho, my uncle broke my non-upgraded computer... lol. Will the hard-drive work if i put it in my dads computer and set it as a slave (although it has windows xp installed on it).

And also, will i have to format my old hard-drive first, or can i just install windows xp over the one thats already on the hard-drive, or does it format the hard-drive during the installation anyway?

Yes, setting it up as a slave will work.

For the 2nd question: I would just delete the partition and create a new one to install to.

Good luck with your machine

-Sevoma

Might as well format it (once you remove/copy any files you want saved while it is hooked up as slave).

Windows won't recognize any programs on your hard drive once you reinstall it with the new hardware. Unless someone knows something I don't...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom