Will these components work for me!? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2006, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Will these components work for me!?

First time builder here and I was wondering if I could get some suggestions or recommendations. My spending limit is around $1,500 for my next computer. I use mine for gaming, listening/burning music, general web surfing, and some Word programs. Here is my list, I would greatly appreciate any info. Thanks.

Lian Li pc7 black mid tower case
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe mobo
AMD athlon64 3700+ sandiego 1ghz fsb
ZALMAN CNPS7000B heatsink fan
ENERMAX All in One Noisetaker Series 600watt psu
CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 2 gig total
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 120gig
evga 7800gt 256mb ram pci X16
artic cooling silencer rev.3
Lite-On cd rom/dvd rom 16x dvd rom/52x32x52 cd rom
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2

I also need some recommendations on a decent ethernet card. Nothing fancy, just want it to get the job done. Thanks for any info.

Old 01-14-2006, 05:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to FghtinIrshNvrDi Send a message via Yahoo to FghtinIrshNvrDi

Well, your setup looks pretty good, minus the Asus board. They just don't do AMD justice. Besides, customer service blows. I recommend my motherboard, the MSI K8N Neo4-F. Otherwise, that's a strong build. Also, your LAN card is integrated into the motherboard.

<b>I'm an unhyphenated American.</b>
System Specs:
Intel Q6600 @ 3200 1.4v
Abit IP35 Pro "The Snake"
2x2gb A-Data @ 800
Diamond HD 3870 512mb

Great FORD TRUCK resource: http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com
Old 01-14-2006, 05:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Send a message via Yahoo to talldude123

nice setup, i would just recommend a dvd-rw burner instead of the dvd/cd-rw. this way, you can burn more data to a disc and movies.

my opinion - get rid of the sound card. its not necessary, onboard sound will work just fine.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Will you be overclocking this comp? If you are then get a DFI lanparty ultra-d, zalman 9500 HSF or Scythe Ninja or TT bigtyphoon, and some OCZ or G.skill or overclocking RAM.
The case is very sturdy , but Lian Li's are expensive and look kinda plain. Unless you plan on abusing your computer, you could go with a cheaper case and be fine and use the money towards something else.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for all the helpfull info guys, I appreciate it. But FightinIrish, why do you say Asus doesn't do AMD justice? I was just wondering if you had some info on that subject, I probably just need to do some more research. Talldude, I was thinking about that soundcard situation even in the beginning and I think your probably right. That should save me about $50. And Vybuni, I do plan to overclock it but I don't know how much. But the reason for the Lian Li case is that it is the absolute only computer case I could find with the setup I wanted and still be able to customize it myself. I plan on cutting a whole in the side of the superman emblem and putting a designed window in there. Just a little something else for me to personalize ya know. I would greatly appreciate any more light you guys could shed on the subject, thanks.
Closed Thread