Will SATA 150 HD work with SATA II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshC

Baseband Member
I am working on building my first computer and am getting an ABIT KN8 Ultra motherboard with a Western Digital 80gig HD. The motherboard SATA interface is SATA II while the HD interface is SATA 150. Will they be compatable or will this be a problem?

They are backward compatible but if you are using a interface newer than your motherboard supports then no.

ATA150 = SATA1
3.0Gb = SATA2
5.0Gb = SATA3

SATA II is backwards compatible with sata150

i though sata III was 6.0GB/s :?

Thanks for the help. I thought that it would work but I just wanted to double check.

Here are the rest of the specs for the system:
AMD Athlon 3500+ Venice S939
ABIT KN8 Ultra Motherboard
Leadtek 6800 256MB PCI-E x16
Corsair XMS 2x512 TWINX1024-3200C2PT
Western Digital Caviar SE 80GB HD
Lite-On DVD Burner
Sony Floppy Drive
Thermaltake 430W PS
Thermaltake Silver Steel/Plastic Mid Tower
Polyview V293 19" LCD Screen
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers

How does all of this look? I'll be using it for running Photoshop and AutoCAD while also running IE and a couple of messenger programs (multitasking).

as far as multitasking goes, you'll want to be using a dual-core CPU, or go the Intel route because since their P4's have Hyper-Threading they make for excellent multitaskers despite having only one core (excluding the Pentium D).

Well so you know.......the new SATAs are kind of pointless....if you're transferring data from two harddrives and only one is SATAII...then the SATAII will only work as fast as the slower one....same with CD drives and things like that.....

also the RPMs of the hard drive come into play...if you look at the specs it's the seek time and write times that really matter as they determine the actual difference in speed.

So while the interface are technically rated for said speeds, it won't necessarily be going anywhere close to that.

JoshC said:
Thanks for the help. I thought that it would work but I just wanted to double check.

Here are the rest of the specs for the system:
AMD Athlon 3500+ Venice S939
ABIT KN8 Ultra Motherboard
Leadtek 6800 256MB PCI-E x16
Corsair XMS 2x512 TWINX1024-3200C2PT
Western Digital Caviar SE 80GB HD
Lite-On DVD Burner
Sony Floppy Drive
Thermaltake 430W PS
Thermaltake Silver Steel/Plastic Mid Tower
Polyview V293 19" LCD Screen
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers

How does all of this look? I'll be using it for running Photoshop and AutoCAD while also running IE and a couple of messenger programs (multitasking).

if your on a budget, i would drop down to a 3200+ and upgrade your graphics card to a 6800GS. But if you have more money, defintely get a better psu and get a dual core with 2GB of memory and switch the mobo to a MSI K8N NEO4-F ;)

nitestick said:
i'm not a fan of corsair xms.

yeah me either, too overpriced for cheapy ram, but their valueselect ram is good :)

if you arent OC'ing go with valueselect ram for like 80 dollars. If you are pick up the OCZ el platinum revision 2 for around 150 bucks

i think their XMS series is just their valueselect in heatspreaders :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom