Will this RAM work with my motherboard??

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylmurhaha

Solid State Member
Hey. So I am not too good with computers, so I need some help on what to upgrade. I don't know which of my computer parts should be replaced. My goal is to smoothly be able to play Warhammer Online. Right now I am playing the open beta and it is, for the most part, very choppy; I have been unable to view my FPS, but I am assuming it is my end that is the problem.

Its requirements are as follows:
2.5 GHz P4 (single core) processor or equivalent
1 Gigabyte RAM
A 128 MB Video Card, with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
At least 15 GB of hard drive space

What I have:
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+
1 GB RAM (2 Slots of 512MB)
Radeon 9550 (128MB)
Asus K8V-MX

I don't know if my processor is decent enough. I have the bare minimum of RAM, as well as video card. My question is, what is most important to upgrade, and what is the cheapest thing I can do to upgrade? I was going to just add another GB of RAM, but my motherboard only has 2 slots. Would replacing a 512MB with a 1GB make an impact at all? Any suggestions would be appreciated (except for buying a whole new computer, don't have money for that haha)

Newegg.com - Patriot 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I've got a Asus K8V-MX motherboard-
I would be replacing my 512MB with a 1G, will that cause any significant difference?

hmm as long as your motherboard says it can handle DDR then yes.

So I assume your motherboard is over 2 years old.

It'll be fine since that board does support DDR1, but unless you have 512mb RAM or less RAM you really shouldn't be experiencing lag because of RAM, focus your money on the Video Card

hmm.. well im trying to run warhammer online smoothly, but really i just want to run all games better. the min req. for the game is 1GB, and when i ran the game on the lowest video settings it still was all choppy.. but would a new video card help more than more ram? also, what would be a decent video card to buy that will work on my comp? (relatively low price range, 60bucks tops)

EDIT: Newegg.com - EVGA 256-A8-N341-LX GeForce 6200 256MB 64-bit DDR AGP 8X Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
is this a decent compatible vid card? also what does it mean if it is '64bit' as opposed to '128bit'

ive posted a thread, and a comment on an already existant relating thread, but no one answered.

Will these graphics cards work? I thought my motherboard only took DDR mem, and these are GDDR2 (or does that not matter with vid cards?)

Now, I would rather buy the powercolor because that is the kind of price I'm looking for. But is the investment to get the more expensive one worth it? If it is, I may get it; I am just trying to go as cheap as possible, so if the other vid card is not significantly better I don't think I'll get it. But whats your opinion?

EDIT: The radeon x1650 has got some pretty bad reviews. I did some research on it and a lot of people complain that it works for a little bit and dies fast, ranging from 2months to a day... so I dont know about that one- any other cheap ones going around?

EDIT2: Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100175L Radeon X1650PRO 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards this look any good? I would just go with the one redmoon reccommended, but this ones got safe reviews, which is important to me (still looking cheaper though, this card is a little too much)

Alright thanks. I hope the video card doesn't crap out like a lot of people say :/. Also hope it makes the game run better without more RAM; cant afford both right now.

EDIT: read a comment that omegadrivers.net works well. Your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom