will this just scratch the surface for XP SP1???????

Status
Not open for further replies.
READ IT:

XPlite and 2000lite are powerful configuration utilities for Windows creating a modular Windows operating system where YOU are in control. The new version 1.8 gives you more than 160 ways to reduce the size, improve the security, and customize YOUR Windows XP or 2000 installation to suit YOU!

from the lite pc site,
the program is only a 30mb file, and once xp is installed, you choose which programs to uninstall

im talking to a brick wall here!

Windows XP will not be useable. It will install and run, but with any program useage at all, it will most likely slow to a crawl, and XP will beat it dead.

EDO Ram is probably the slowest ram you can even buy (Second hand, maybe on eBay). It's not made anymore. It usually runs at 66MHz, sometimes even 33Mhz I think. You also can't mix different speeds.

I had a Dual Pentium 2, 266MHz X2, both overclocked to 333MHz, with 128MB EDO RAM. It took 4 hours to install. I then disabled every possible service I could. XP still barely ran, the most I could do was surf the internet, and even that dragged along. So if that's the case with mine, and your laptop being even slower, do you really think it's such a good idea?

Regardless of what will be installed on there, it will be slow. The hard disk will be incredibly slow.
XP and 2000 would run, but I wouldn't recommend it. Try Windows 98 or lower. Programs will still have a huge load time, even on Win 98. Besides that, you cannot install too much with only 2GB.

what the **** worldindustries, you said that edo ram runs at 66mhz???
It dosent have any effect on the CPU!
god ur an idiot!
Anyhoo, i know your gonna say, its a waste of time and money but "ladadadadada"
Can u upgrade CPU for example, windows xp is recommended to run at 128mb RAM and 300mhz CPU, said microsoft in 2001,
I can get a 144mb of RAM in total on that laptop
Ok, now i found this, pentium 2 300mhz MMX technology processor, will it work in a laptop, coz i know someone who can put parts in?
heres the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Intel-Pentiu...0294744QQihZ002QQcategoryZ14290QQcmdZViewItem

Ok, now with 300mhz processor and 128mb RAM, will it run better, AND TRUTHFULLY, how long will it take to start up?

before you go off on a flame war, I'm just curious... we are accused of saying it's a waste of time... Well... to most of us it is... BUT... what is your reasoning to do it? I know from my stand point, if I understand why, then I might be able to help better.

and turthfully... I can only give an estimated time but with that slow of a machine, you looking at 5-10, maybe 15 minutes just to boot... but let the others (experts) make a judgement on it...

aff1993 said:
god ur an idiot!
Can u upgrade CPU for example, windows xp is recommended to run at 128mb RAM and 300mhz CPU, said microsoft in 2001,
Ok, now i found this, pentium 2 300mhz MMX technology processor, will it work in a laptop, coz i know someone who can put parts in?
heres the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Intel-Pentiu...0294744QQihZ002QQcategoryZ14290QQcmdZViewItem

Ok, now with 300mhz processor and 128mb RAM, will it run better, AND TRUTHFULLY, how long will it take to start up?

Well, now. I'll remember next time not to help you.

Ram DOES have an effect on the computer, obviously. A computer running DDR266 RAM is obviously gonna' have slower performance than a computer running DDR400. So using EDO RAM at 66MHz will definately be slower than SDRAM at 133MHz if your FSB is any higher than 66.

And, by the way, if you're gonna' try to run XP on that laptop, it will be a waste of money.

If anything, you would be the idiot. How the **** are you planning to fit that SLOT 1 Pentium 2 into that laptop? It's about the size of your average alarm clock.

aff1993 said:
god ur an idiot!

Nice flame, I hope you're proud of yourself.

aff1993 said:

The computer is a slow POS that barely deserves the name "computer," dumping money into it will make it immeasurably faster, it is a waste of money, but lets see what you recommend here:

aff1993 said:

Great idea, 128mb of ram, upgrade to 144. 16Mb of ram will make it so much faster.

aff1993 said:
heres the link:

No, slot 1 is not for laptops, lol. That and it's an incredibily slow processor.

aff1993 said:

I'd say 5 minutes at most. My P2 266mhz / 128mb of ram sitting next to me boots in like 5 minutes, running XP Pro, so yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom