Will this graphics card work with this pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relay

Solid State Member
Sorry for making another one of these posts. I am a computer newbie, and recently bought a new pc. I need help assuring that this
gfx card I have chosen to upgrade to will work with my pc. I am running windows vista home premium.

My current specs:

Hp-Pavillion m7790e
2 gb ram
225 gb hdd
Nvidia Geforce 7500LE

The new card: BFG Tech BFGR88320GTSOCE GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 OC HDCP Video Card

Link to specs on that card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143086

I am primarily concerned because of this review posted: Cons: Pricy on the real estate (takes up two slots on you mobo).

It takes up two slots?

My pc slot specs:
PCI expansion 3 expansion slots including 1 PCI Express

1 pci express slot but the card needs 2? Can someone explain please? :(

You only need one PCI-e slot for that video card, but it's massive heatsink blocks the PCI slot below it.

I think it's all good, haha. What people mean when they say a graphics card takes two slots is that the card's heatsink assembly is so large that you can't use the slot right next to the PCIe slot. It doesn't mean the card needs two PCIe slots to be installed on the motherboard :).

About compatibility, you say you have a PCIe slot, so that's the most important thing covered. Another thing would be power; you'll need a PCIe 6-pin power connector for this video card. If your power supply doesn't have one, you can buy a small converter (two "molex" connectors into one PCIe connector). Also, be sure your power supply is strong enough to power the 8800.

Edit: b1gapl, you beat me to it :p

... and the specs at HP report "300 to 350 watt, depending on system requirements"... so you may have a problem with power.

Yea you definetly will have power issues. Good luck trying to get a new power supply in your current case aswell;)

I think he's implying that some Dell cases do not have the standard screw hole configuration to mount power supplies units (since they use their own PSUs). I wouldn't know about that, though. Your main problem is still the PSU itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom