Will this CPU work with my motherboard?

dragonjen

Beta member
I'm in the process of chasing quotes for upgrading my pc and just wanted a second opinion before I proceed. I've also been told there might be issues with the graphics card, although I'm not sure if that was just an excuse to 'encourage' me to purchase a new system.

Current Motherboard: ASUSTeK M2N68-CM
Current Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+
Quoted CPU upgrade: AMD Phenom X4 9650 2.3GHz 2MB

The upgrade also will include win7 install and more ram.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Cheers,
Jen

Yes the CPU will work, but the first gen Phenom quads suck hard. Depending on what you have now for a CPU and what you intend on doing with your computer it could actually be a downgrade. You would be better off getting a Phenom 2 after doing a bios update.

Really hard to give any real advice without knowing any further details.

Thanks for your reply Mguire.

What sort of details do you need? I can attach an AIDA32 report if that helps. (I know my bios is out of date!)

My current CPU is AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ and I'd like a quad core so I reach the min specs on some games I want to play! Assassins Creed 3 is what's currently choking on my baby - so my current aim is to be able to play that!

AC3 is being choked by your GPU.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/your-cpu-modern-games-guide-those-building-261626/

My 6000+ paired with a 5850 plays BF3 at 59FPS solid and it's more demanding than AC3. Currently my fiance is playing Dark Souls 2 flawlessly at 1080p with the same 6000+ and 5850.

Games are pretty much 99% GPU dependent and single threaded apps will be slower on the Phenom due to its IPC being much lower and also its clocks are slower than the 6000+. To simplify that, the Phenom 1 quad will be much much slower at gaming than your current 6000+. A more realistic upgrade would be a better GPU as the 9800GTX+ is a little long in the tooth these days. If you absolutely want to retain your current setup then a Phenom 2 555 or 955BE would be a much better choice. Even still, at 1080p your 9800GTX+ will still choke the game up on higher settings.

Back
Top Bottom