Will This CPU Fit My M5030 Laptop?

Struzinski

Baseband Member
Hey TF! I'm dealing with a nasty CPU failure on my old Dell M5030 laptop. It's been sitting for almost two years, but I'd like to get it up and running soon as my on-the-go PC. Not sure if the heat sync and fans were blown on it, but the part is cheap so I'll probably go about replacing that as well. Better safe than sorry. This is my first time modifying any PC, but I've put together cars from scratch so this seems like an easy job.

Anyway, the original CPU in it is an AMD Athlon II Dual Core P340, 2.2ghz, S1g4 Socket Type, 25w TDP, 45nm manufac tech. (AMD Athlon II P340 Notebook Processor - NotebookCheck.net Tech)

I figured if I have to replace it, why not upgrade? So I'm looking into AMD Phenom II Quad-Core P960 (AMD Phenom II P960 processor - HMP960SGR42GM). Same socket type, same TDP, not sure about manufacturing technology.

Would this be acceptable? If the quad-core isn't a good idea, should I just upgrade to a higher dual core compatible CPU? Let me know what is best!

You can try, but there isn't any guarantee. It isn't just hardware support, but the bios has to support it too. Being a laptop, the odds of having a bios update that actually supports a newer processor is slim to none.

You can try, but there isn't any guarantee. It isn't just hardware support, but the bios has to support it too. Being a laptop, the odds of having a bios update that actually supports a newer processor is slim to none.

Hmm, what do you mean by BIOS update? How do I go about this?

Nevermind, forget that I asked that. I just looked into it, and apparently it isn't hard.

I'm gonna play it safe and just order the same CPU that was in it originally ($18 on eBay) and hopefully get it working again (as long as the motherboard isn't fried too). I'll be back here in a few weeks with an update though. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom