will better video card speed up video performance ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You actually don't want to get rid of the paging file. It provides backup memory, and I hear that sometimes windows will not perform correctly without it, other times i hear programs rely on it and won't work correctly with out it, but I also hear people who have it turned off and works fine. But make sure you have 2+ Gbs of sys ram before you do disable it or the fun will really start.

to disable press windows key + pause break. go to advanced then click settings under the performance box. Once there click the advanced tab and then at the bottom is virtual memory, this is your paging file. click change to change/disable it. I have mine set to initial 1536, max 2920. you might want to leave it on system managed. I also hear that it is better to have the initial and max be the same number.

Edit -- the paging file is your virtual memory, you might have heard of it under that term. It in effect is well.... memory that is not memory, hence virtual... it is space on your hard drive that is used like your system ram. however, it performs *alot* slower. Normally a program, when run, loads into the system ram, and is held there while it is in use. If a program had to access things directly from the HD all the time, then it would be painfully slow. When the system ram runs out/low windows starts moving programs that are not being actively used into the virtual memory. If the active programs are too many, then they start being moved into the virtual memory and well, you see a big slow down in your computer. (ever try to run a 1Gb minimum game on a 512Mb computer? its like that.)

Are you using FireFox? If you are, I'm sure it shouldn't auto log you off.

Yea, I use firefox, Ver 2.0.0.5, and I can't do alot of stuff... it auto logs off, and when I click on users names to send PMs, it won't let me. It won't actually do anything for any of the items in the menu, its click and nothing happens....

I have java so I'm not sure what the problem is... have to go into my messages, and copy and paste the user's name to PM....

Any help would be appreciated.

Right click the username, and open it into a new tab. I have that very same problem. When you first typed in your username and password, did FireFox give you a pop-up saying Remember, Never For this Site, or Not Now? I think those were the 3 options.

what is a paging file? and how do I get rid of it ? :)
Paging file is a file on the hard drive used like RAM.

Hard drives are much slower than RAM is, so if possible, you'll want to use less or none of it.
You actually don't want to get rid of the paging file.
I do, and I have. I have absolutely no problems.

It provides backup memory, and I hear that sometimes windows will not perform correctly without it, other times i hear programs rely on it and won't work correctly with out it, but I also hear people who have it turned off and works fine. But make sure you have 2+ Gbs of sys ram before you do disable it or the fun will really start.
Actually, it's that programs sometimes rely on there being a certain amount of system memory (RAM+paging file)

People who disable paging file and only have a smallish amount of RAM (like 512MB) will usually experience issues

But if you have 2GB RAM, you will rarely if ever experience issues.

If you do experience issues with 2GB RAM, then either you are running some enormous program, or you are running far too many programs, or both.

wow sweet. awesome guys ! thanks for the info. I actualy just ordered 2 gigs of ram last night....and I'm happily awaiting installing it. I will definatly try the "virtual memory mod" as you call it. IT definatly makes sence how your descibed it. should this make my Everquest 2 video lag even LESS substancial ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom