Will adding a graphics card disable onboard video?

og5

Baseband Member
Hi, a techy friend of mine told me that if I add a new video card, the onboard video in my desktop (Dell Inspiron 530) will become disabled. This is a problem for me because I wanted to add a dual head VGA card to get up to 3 monitors, and if I lose the current VGA port I won't have enough room to add another card (I only have 1 PCI express slot)

Is it true that the onboard video will become disabled? Is there a workaround? I have no interest in gaming, I just want to have 3 monitors for work purposes.

i currently am using a dedicated card for my main monitor and my igp for a smaller monitor that extends the desktop. i didnt even have to do anything, it just works.

Actually usually there are ways of keeping the IGP on while a dedicated card is installed. You have to check the bios to be 100% certain.

On the flip side, there are low end cards you can buy that support 3 or 4 monitors.
Galaxy 21GGE4AM9EKP MDT X4 GeForce 210 Multi Display 1GB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Newegg.com

Thanks; I am looking at the card and I guess I don't know enough because I see only 2 DVI ports. Are you suggesting using splitter cables, or something else?

Back
Top Bottom