Why is my LCD monitor/TV fuzzy but computer monitor is not - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Why is my LCD monitor/TV fuzzy but computer monitor is not

Today i installed my new video card with S-video output and PC monitor output. When i attach the S-video to my LCD monitor the screen is fuzzy, but when I hook up my computer monitor (with the regular monitor jack) everything is fine. Could it be the S-video is not providing a good image, or is it cause the LCD monitor has a 21inch viewing scrren which is too large for my new video card to handle. Also, would it matter if i bought a regular monitor jack to attach the LCD monitor to my computer as opposed to the S-video jack? the video card is a Geforce 5500 with 256mb of ram.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Any chance you bought that video card from Future Shop, on sale for 50 bucks?

Try to isolate the problem. Simplest thing would be to see if your S-Video cable is faulty. If the problem isn't with the cable, then you know it's with the TV, or your computer configuration. I'm going to assume it's not the TV.

Check to see that your video card is configured to output to a TV. Since I don't know your OS, read your manual/instructions to see if there are any steps you need to take to configure your output to a TV.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by hammer55
Any chance you bought that video card from Future Shop, on sale for 50 bucks?

Try to isolate the problem. Simplest thing would be to see if your S-Video cable is faulty. If the problem isn't with the cable, then you know it's with the TV, or your computer configuration. I'm going to assume it's not the TV.

Check to see that your video card is configured to output to a TV. Since I don't know your OS, read your manual/instructions to see if there are any steps you need to take to configure your output to a TV.
lol, yes $50. but thats a huge upgrade considering my old video card was 32mb.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

wait... if u video card was 32mb doesnt that mean u were using a agp( assuming its a agp card becuz 32mb sounds really ancient and pcix wasnt invented back than) 2x or 4x and now ur using a fx5500?
Opteron 165 cooled by Zalman 9500A LED // DFI Lanparty UT NF4-D // Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 320-GB Hard Drive // Sapphire X1950XT 256MB cooled by Zalman VF900 Cu LED // 2x1GB OCZ EL Plantinum // Enermax NoiseTaker 430W // Pioneer DVD & Combo Optical Drive // 20" Samsung 206BW Monitor // Logitech Z-2300 Speakers // Logitech G11 Keyboard and Microsoft Sidewinder mouse // Antec Nine Hundred Case
Old 09-05-2006, 08:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

His new card is an AGP 8x. He is not using a PCI-E card.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

i no his new card is an agp 8x but wat about his agp slot? is the slot a 8x? cuz it only sounds like his using a 8x card on a 4x slot.
Opteron 165 cooled by Zalman 9500A LED // DFI Lanparty UT NF4-D // Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 320-GB Hard Drive // Sapphire X1950XT 256MB cooled by Zalman VF900 Cu LED // 2x1GB OCZ EL Plantinum // Enermax NoiseTaker 430W // Pioneer DVD & Combo Optical Drive // 20" Samsung 206BW Monitor // Logitech Z-2300 Speakers // Logitech G11 Keyboard and Microsoft Sidewinder mouse // Antec Nine Hundred Case
Old 09-06-2006, 09:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

well this is my motherboard: http://tw2005.giga-byte.com/Motherbo...cts_GA-7ZM.htm

the card seems to work fine, the computer is quicker than before
Old 09-06-2006, 10:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

just checked the box and this video card is 8x and 4x compatible
Old 09-06-2006, 11:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

it's just a factor of the s-video signal. you will always get a clearer/sharper image using a monitor cable i.e. DVI or VGA than composite (the yellow "RCA" lead) or s-video cables.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

AGP, PCI, PCI-E 16x, PCI-E 1x, psh, IDE, SATA, USB, FireWire, serial, parallel, PS/2 video cards, none of any of that matters. TV signal is poor quality, end of story. That's all there is too it. All TV ('cept HDTV) signal sucks, it's all blurry low resolution interlaced analog crap. That is why the image sucks. The TV-output is for watching videos, movies, slideshows, not for reading articals and writing papers.

Your hardware is fine. It's the hardware standards that suck here.

Closed Thread