Where is the 6800GS AGP!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
PZEROFGH said:
you can work with x4 and x8 AGP but x2 might use a different voltage so you have to be careful

Alright thanks, the emachines is two years old and actually might even use PCI-express, if not AGP. So if it's AGP, I highly doubt it's AGP x2.

*SIGH*

Well it seems this emachines has an Intel 845 or something and doens't have an AGP graphics slot to upgrade too. Sure there's a PCI slot! But even AGP is becoming ancient. I can't win :-\

Yes, many of the eMachines around that age have x8 AGP slots (I know someone who has one), which are relatively good. The only problem with them now is that PCI-Express offers a much higher bandwidth, so it is becoming extinct as people slowly switch over. Yea, I just joined this forum, but on other ones there were problems with there being no 6800GS AGP's for a while too.

Yea it doesn't make any sense keeping the emachines unless I want to pay more or the same as upgrading then I probably would for a new comp. I would need a new motherboard (obviously), CPU (no point in buying a PCI-e socket 478 mobo ... if there are any), video card (obviously), memory (because I'd like to take advantage of PC3200), PSU (to power the new stuff), HD (not going to use an ATA HD on a newer socket mobo, again makes it difficult to upgrade in the future). So really the only thing I could keep would be the monitor (which has a .294 pixel point thing or something, which bites), the DVD/CD drive (at the time it's not even functioning!), the case (which would probably overheat and not provide enough cooling for the new components) and the keyboard and mouse, which are cheap and not even close to being new. So yea it's not even worth upgrading at this point. If it had an AGP slot I could pop in a 512 stick and a 6800GS with a decent 450w PSU and call it a day, but the fact it doesn't have the AGP slot really kinda kills the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom