When Should I Upgrade? (Kaby Lake or Cannonlake) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2016, 07:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Techist Member

Default When Should I Upgrade? (Kaby Lake or Cannonlake)

So I just finished building my buddy a new PC (Core i5-6600K, RX480, 16GB DDR4), and it got me in the mood to give my computer some tender lover and care.

In doing so, I swapped out my GTX 780 for a MSI GTX 1070, and also bought 2 SSD drives. (Samsung 850 EVO 500GB for Games and Software, and a Corsair Force-LE 250GB for the O/S)

But I feel like my current LGA 1366 is inevitably holding back my system. I am in no rush at all to upgrade my Mobo/CPU/Ram, I figure at the earliest it'll be early next year, this gives me time to save for a 4K monitor..etc ...

So I know Kaby Lake is coming later this year, but then it looks like Cannonlake will be out second half of next year that uses a 10nm process instead of 14nm like Skylake and Kaby Lake.

I guess my question is, hearing that Kaby Lake and Cannonlake are going to be relatively similar (LGA 1151, 200-Series Chipset) ... would you upgrade early next year when Kaby Lake is out, or hold off till Cannonlake comes out later next year?

...And how long do you think I can keep going with my current CPU (see signature) before it really bottlenecks my system? Like, should I even attempt to get a 4K monitor on this setup? I was thinking possibly getting another GTX 1070 to support playing games @ 4K on Max when the time comes for a 4K monitor. I just don't know if I should do 4K Monitor/2nd 1070 1st, or upgrade the Mobo/CPU/Ram 1st?

Oh, and here's the computer I was just building. It's finished now (Just got the RX480 yesterday), but no finished pics.

• Intel Core i7 920 Overclocked 3.2Ghz - Megahalem Cooler
  • eVGA E758-A1 X58 Intel LGA 1366 Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
  • MSI Armor OC 8GB GeForce GTX 1070
  • eVGA 650W G2 Modular Power Supply
  • Thermaltake Armor+ Full Tower Case
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
  • Corsair Force LE 250GB SSD
  • OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD
Slam'n Systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: When Should I Upgrade? (Kaby Lake or Cannonlake)

Quote:
and also bought 2 SSD drives. (Samsung 850 EVO 500GB for Games and Software, and a Corsair Force-LE 250GB for the O/S)
Kinda confused at your SSD choices. Why didn't you just get a 250GB EVO for the OS too? Was the Force-LE on sale?

Quote:
But I feel like my current LGA 1366 is inevitably holding back my system
With one 1070 nah. If you overclocked your CPU it'd be fine. I ran a 960 in an X58 Sabertooth board at 4.0GHz with SLI Titan Xs and it actually ran perfectly fine.

Quote:
So I know Kaby Lake is coming later this year, but then it looks like Cannonlake will be out second half of next year that uses a 10nm process instead of 14nm like Skylake and Kaby Lake.

I guess my question is, hearing that Kaby Lake and Cannonlake are going to be relatively similar (LGA 1151, 200-Series Chipset)
Kabylake will be same platform as Skylake, Cannonlake is a new socket and new chipset. They delayed Cannon due to problems in manufacturing the process node, so there is a possibility it could get delayed further. Kaby might get a board refresh, but all the newest tech is already out finally so I don't see them adding anything that really makes getting a higher board necessary. I expect us to have USB 3.1 Gen 2, Thunderbolt 3, and HDMI 2.0b for a while.

Quote:
I was thinking possibly getting another GTX 1070 to support playing games @ 4K on Max
Won't happen. 1070s are the same power as a Titan X and I cannot max all games at 4k even with highly overclocked cards.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Techist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Kabylake will be same platform as Skylake, Cannonlake is a new socket and new chipset. They delayed Cannon due to problems in manufacturing the process node, so there is a possibility it could get delayed further. Kaby might get a board refresh, but all the newest tech is already out finally so I don't see them adding anything that really makes getting a higher board necessary. I expect us to have USB 3.1 Gen 2, Thunderbolt 3, and HDMI 2.0b for a while.
Are you sure? From what I've read is that Kaby Lake and Cannonlake will still be on the LGA 1151 socket, but both use a 200-chipset (Union Point). (Skylake boards wouldn't be compatible)

• OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD
Old 07-03-2016, 10:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Intel's tick tock cycle has been broken and therefor Canonlake hasn't been confirmed as to what they are going to do. Intel has said Kaby should just be an architecture update without a shrink and will utilize current socket and chipset functionality. There will be a new chipset, but like Sandy to Ivy and Haswell to Broadwell, Skylake to Kabylake should be backwards compatible. Now, the deal is, Broadwell to Skylake was the architectural improvements, which Kaby should be the shrink. Instead it's a refinement while maintaining the same size and Canon will be the Tick so in theory they might actually all wind up on the same socket and platform and all be backwards compatible.

The deal there is Intel and board manufacturers won't make much money off a system like that, so odds are they will make a new board and chipset for a CPU that should be a tock and not a tick. They could also do both to put their pattern back which would also make for a new platform.

The only tech that could possibly come from either of these chips would be Octane, but from what they've told me so far consumer grade Xpoint is a ways off.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Techist Member

Quote:
Kinda confused at your SSD choices. Why didn't you just get a 250GB EVO for the OS too? Was the Force-LE on sale?
By the way, yes, the Corsair Force-LE was on sale for $50, so that was my first SSD (Besides my very old 30GB SSD). Then I picked up the 850 EVO the other day, preparing for the massive amount of games coming out this Sept-Nov that I want.

• OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD