What's wrong with this slot? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 08:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default What's wrong with this slot?

I just checked inside my computer there are two white PCI and slots and beside them is a brown slot with a card in it that says "Silicon image." I tried connecting my Dell monitor to it, but it does not come close to fitting; the holes are square shaped. I currently have a built in graphics card I'm using an Intel. Can someone tell me if I can remove this card and put an AGP card in. I have an HP - Compaq D530. Please help!

Old 11-13-2008, 08:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
I don't overclock

Default Re: What's wrong with this slot?

why do you post same question again

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenapples View Post
I have a graphics card mounted to the motherboard and I'm pretty sure it I have 2 PCI slots, are there graphics cards compatible with PCI slots, not PCIE slots? I have an HP - Compaq D530. It [Crucial Scan] says its desktop type can't have graphics cards, I hope it's not true can someone please help me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainOblivious View Post
according to the specs it says it has an AGP 8x slot...which means that the card is removable and should be able to be replaced with another card that is AGP 4x or 8x....you can find lots of those in stores and online on sites such as this

Newegg.com - agp
the clown does not appreciate reading the same thing over

Old 11-13-2008, 08:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

One was whether or not I have a slot the other was what's a matter with this slot...Anyway this AGP card looks like it only has a DVI port no a VGA port. Can I get an AGP that will have a VGA port and a DVI port?
Old 11-13-2008, 09:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to Ethan_Kaizer Send a message via MSN to Ethan_Kaizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenapples (translated to proper English)
I just checked inside my computer, and I noticed that there are two white PCI slots. Beside them is a brown slot with a card in it that says "Silicon image." I tried connecting my Dell monitor to it, but it does not come close to fitting; the holes are square shaped. I currently have a built in graphics card, and I have an Intel CPU. Can someone tell me if I can remove this card and put an AGP card in? I have an HP Compaq D530. Thank you.
From what I just saw from google, that's an AGP slot. You can remove that card if it has no purpose, and you can put an AGP graphics card in.

This is a good one:

Newegg.com - POWERCOLOR AG3850 512MD3-P Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenapples View Post
One was whether or not I have a slot the other was what's a matter with this slot...Anyway this AGP card looks like it only has a DVI port no a VGA port. Can I get an AGP that will have a VGA port and a DVI port?
If you buy an AGP graphics card, it will come with a DVI - VGA adapter that you can use.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
I don't overclock

is this it?
HP Compaq Business d530 Ultra-Slim (Pentium 4 2.8GHz, 256MB RAM, 40GB HDD, XP Pro) Desktop reviews - CNET Reviews
if it is, you'd need a 'low-profile' AGP card

yes you can get an AGP card with both DVI and VGA
Old 11-13-2008, 09:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

Yes it is thank you very much. A few more questions, do some AGP cards just come with DVI slots and no VGA slots? If so why? And What are DVI slots for anyway? And what do you mean by low profile? Thank you!
Old 11-13-2008, 09:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
I don't overclock

yes some cards come with just DVI
because DVI is superior to VGA

DVI has the same function as VGA, to connect video card to monitor
just better

low profile - slim card, doesn't have a crazy cooler on it

Closed Thread