What's up with all the Opterons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
totally depends... on... everything. You kinda need to make the motherboard compatible with everything that you HAVE. You know?

Ryan

*shrugs* I'm thinking of everything I have now and besides a PCIE slot I don't think there's much else to consider.

940 is the way that most of them came. I think the reason everyone's going opteron happy is because they're becoming commonplaced in socket 939 now. All they have to do is upgrade thier processors.

Actually, I think the first generation of opterons came in socket 939 too if I'm not mistaken. Someone who knows should probably answer this question though.

Ryan

yeah i've been looking at server systems on newegg and the optys are pretty popular for those. oh and i looked they do come in 939. but the servers are 940.

s939 opterons that can OC to 3Ghz on air and on very little voltage :shocked: I WANT ONE NOW!!

I'm actually thinking of getting one, Im not going to pull anything out of my Dell because that's the family pc. I'm building one up from scratch. Probably a DFI-Lanparty and a 6600GT (maybe a 6800GT if I can save up enough cash). I'm definitely going to overclock this system. Since I know nothing about Opterons, what would be a good one to get on a budget that overclocks to decent speeds?

i think da opteron was meant to be put into a server and overclocked...but people are now puting them into a gamin machina....i might go to an opteron from a san diego...not sure cuz i really don't wanna mess with the oc part..neva done it so that makes me a nub @ it.......also is the opteron 64 bit?

opterons weren't made exclusvly for servers. But they are what worked best.

They are just an all around, great overclocking cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom