Whats the main difference between optical and laser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric0h

Over and Above Person
I am still thinking of getting a mouse, but I noticed there are two, well actually three types of mouses.

Laser

Optical

Ball mouse

So I know the ball mouse, and I guess I thought optical and laser were the same thing, but I guess their not because they are advertised differently.

Optical mouse uses an LED light. And a laser mouse uses a laser to track movement. A laser mouse is more sensitive, but probably better for gaming. I think an optical mouse has a harder time being used on a shiny surface whereas a laser mouse can be used on anything.

with laser mice if you don't have a pad, if it goes over any surface that is scratched deeply or something, the curser will jump which can present problems if you're gaming ;)

but as long as you have a nice smooth pad a laser mouse ins the way to go for gaming. Well, if you playing rpg's an optical would do fine, but you can get cheap laser mice.

I see "gaming" pads, and I always been using 99 cents pads.

Is there any justification as to pay 10 dollars more or so for a gaming one?

Only thing I noticed is that its thinner, and one have like cable management for the mouse cable.

with laser mice if you don't have a pad, if it goes over any surface that is scratched deeply or something, the curser will jump which can present problems if you're gaming ;)

.... its so true.. but sometimes they help get headshots.. :)

Happened so many times with my AK47 or M4 Carbine on COD4

On that Hardcore match we just got out off, that happened and I missed him because I was already aiming at his head with the G3 :( its sad because I got owned by a Skorpion thats silenced long range

Some of those gaming pads will provide a better surface, I've been using a few ancient 3dFX gaming mouse pads and they're very thin and smooth, stick to my desk surface better than cheap pads as well. Food for thought, I guess.

Maybe it doesn't make as much of a difference with a laser mouse, though. I'm still on optical until I upgrade sometime next month.

Honestly I had the same question myself a few years back and I decided to research the topic. I cant recall the specifics but I do know that while laser mice have far higher precision (dpi) that also have a disadvantage to optical mice that I don't remember... perhaps something to do with how far up off the surface it has to be before it stops trying to move your cursor. As for gaming pads, they're worth a few more bucks but find a good one not just a cheap plastic dell pad with a gaming pad logo on it... actually I recall something about darker surfaces being preferable for either laser or optical but not for the other... something to research if you have time perhaps.

Honestly I had the same question myself a few years back and I decided to research the topic. I cant recall the specifics but I do know that while laser mice have far higher precision (dpi) that also have a disadvantage to optical mice that I don't remember... perhaps something to do with how far up off the surface it has to be before it stops trying to move your cursor.
the Lachesis has fixed that problem. It will stop moving the cursor literally a few mm off the surface.
As for gaming pads, they're worth a few more bucks but find a good one not just a cheap plastic dell pad with a gaming pad logo on it... actually I recall something about darker surfaces being preferable for either laser or optical but not for the other... something to research if you have time perhaps.
Right now I'm using a Nova Microptic Winner
it's actually quite a good mouse pad

They've stopped selling the version I have, but this is basically the same kind (except bigger)
esportNOVA - MICROPTIC KILLER 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom