Whats the latest graphics cards??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runfox

In Runtime
I am looking at building a new . high speed game comp. I know the dual graphics card SLI deal was popular fro a while. Do they still do that now or is SLI a waste of money. Seams like the new graphics card s are dual slots with mega anyway arn't they?

The latest cards are ATI's Radeon 5xxx series. The 5850 and 5870 are the best in, the latest by ATI. Nvidia's latest is the GTX295, which I believe is 2 GTX275's combined (Internal SLI connectors, giving a 1 card SLI setup)? The 5870's are 2 4890's, I believe, or comparable at least. The 5xxx series support DirectX 11, while no other cards do. A lot of the newer cards are dual slot designs, but the motherboard manufacturers understood this, and accommodated better placement of the PCI-E x16 slots far enough away from each other.

I'm pretty much an Nvida long time fan, Support and drivers have always been top notch and easy, are there reasonable results in buying two cards and going SLI, or are the results not worth the extra mony? Some reviews said unless you OC the CPU you wont get the benfits of SLI as the CPU is the bottle neck. Any thoughts?

It depends on what your comparison is. If its value, then single card solution is best. If sheer power, then obviously 2 are better than 1. But, for the same amount of money that get you 2 mid-range cards for same price as 1 high end card, then 1 high end card is better; and you also leave yourself open for future upgrades.

The only time i would use dual card configuration is if:
a) I have too much money, and i want THE BEST. I would get the 2 highest end cards and SLI or Crossfire them.
b) I already have a good card, and i want to upgrade, and it would make more $ense to buy another of the same card rather than sell and buy a higher end card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom