What's holding back my PC? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 08-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: What's holding back my PC?

32 bit Windows can handle up to 4 GB of total system memory (total as in everything even the memory on the video card). Windows divides up your memory so it can allocate portions of it for specific tasks and because of this it doesn't always show the full amount, sometimes it will only report the "use-able" memory or the memory that is available for programs.

I think your power supply is responsible for any black screens or sudden restarts. Though you should go ahead and clean out all of the dust with a can or 2 of compressed air. Don't use a vacuum as it can suck up the small jumpers on the motherboard and then you will be screwed.

Your cpu is bottlenecking your system, but even if you replace the cpu with the best available for your motherboard you'll still be backed up. I'm thinking the Pentium D came out when the LGA775 socket 1st appeared and your motherboard won't support any of the newest models. I hate to say it but the system you have isn't worth spending money on unless you buy a new mobo, cpu and some faster memory (DDR2 800 or 1066) plus a new power supply that you need already. I would start saving up a few dollars.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Hyper Techie

32 bit Windows can handle up to 4 GB of total system memory (total as in everything even the memory on the video card).
I've learned something today.

- AMD FX8320 @ 4.2Ghz - ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer - G.Skill Ripjaws X 8gb -
- Asus Strix GTX 970 - Corsair Neutron GTX - Corsair TX 750 -
- Cooler Master HAF XB - Corsair H105 -
- Asus VG248QE - Corsair M60 & K90 -
Old 08-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'm pretty sure I have the latest BIOS, I checked system info and the date on it was 1/8/2007, and the latest one on dell said 1/16/07, but I think they are the same since they both say version A07.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Ah, well do you think upgrading the PSU would get rid of the choppiness and black screens? I know my system is old, I just want it to be adequate to play SC2 smoothly. I do need to save for a new system, but if I could get away with upgrading the PSU and running SC2 fine i would like to do that. It will take some time for me to save up enough money for a new system, especially since I start college in a little over a week. College = broke me. ;(

Closed Thread