what is wrong with my gfx card??

Status
Not open for further replies.

new.puree

In Runtime
i recently bought a evga 6600 gt card and a stick of 512 corsair ram.
my current specs are now:
amd athlon 2000+
6600 gt gfx card
1 gb ram (pc2300,pc3200)

my problem is.. whenever I play WoW, after about an hour or two, I start to skip frames to the point that it is unbearable.
Could this skipping be a result of poor system fans or a low psu??
because have heard that a gddr3 based gfx card eats up alot of power
And if it is a fan problem what type of additional fan would I need?

fyi my old gfx card was a geforce 3 ti200 and it never skipped consistently even if i played 10 hours straight.
I am pretty sure it is either of the two but I don't know of any things I could do to fix this...
HELP PLZ!!!

I doubt that it would be related to your PSU. If you have an insufficient PSU, then you will likely get random reboots/shutdowns, not performance drops.

One trick to see if overheating is a problem, is to remove the side of your case, and set up a house fan blowing air into the case. If you still have problems, then overheating isnt the likely culprit.

One other thing to consider is if other games do this. If other games are fine, then it is something related to WOW. Make sure to try offline (not internet-dependant) games to make sure that it isnt related to your internet connection.

its not my isp.. I checked my computer temperatures and it says one is around 70 deg celcius which is most likely my gfx card.
I am not completely sure but i think i have a 420w power supply with no other fans besides my basic cpu psu and gfx card fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom