What to upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbul05

Baseband Member
Hi i have had my computer that was bought for me for over 18 months now and was wondering what to upgrade :

Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Hard Drive: 180gb
Ram : 1gb ( but i dont know the speed of it ie. 2700 or 3200 etc.)
Graphics Card: Radeon 9800 SE 256mb
Sound Card: (Getting a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy-4 7.1 OEM)
Motherboard : First International Computer, Inc. P4M-800M PCB 1.x ( Copied off Belarc Advisor :confused: )
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
DVD Drive :NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG and IDE DVD-ROM 16X
Mouse: Logitech MX1000
Keyboard: Logitech G15
Speakers: (getting Creative Inspire T5900 5.1 Speakers):confused:

I guess it's safe to assume that you're a gamer. So, here's my suggestions:

I was going to suggest a RAM upgrade, but I'd wait and get a Conroe whenever they come out and then get a compatible motherboard with new DDR2 RAM (2GB). And possibly upgrade to a 7900GT video card if you don't want to wait for an 8 series.

All i want to do is basically play games and have a good machine lol. Do you know how i find out what ram i am using?

Download cpu-z and look under the memory tab

Depends on what kind of settings do you want to play at?

If you are looking to improve the gaming abilities of your computer, the video card is usually the first choice. Especially since your CPU is still good, and 1GB of RAM is still fine for any games out now.

Judging by your current video card, your motherboard uses and AGP slot. Therefore, the 7800GS would be a great card that still uses AGP.

There is some other things that you might want to consider for upgrades, but it's probably best if you let us know how much money you have to spend.

Thanks for the replies. So if i just take my graphics card out and replace it with a new one as long as it as an AGP will it work. Thanks

I download CPU-Z and it came up with :

DDR PC 2700. Is that slow? and how do i find out is there a limit to what i can have up to. I am looking to buy off Scan and if anyone can recommend which memory i should get from it i would be very grateful

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Products.ASP?CatID=22&Category=Memory&Thumbnails=yes

FICA only listed the P4M-800T, which I would assume is the retail version of your board.

Here's what it listed:

Processor
Intel Northwood 2.4 GHz to 3.2 GHz and above
Intel Celeron up to 2.8GHz
533/800MHz FSB

Memory
2 DIMM Slot
DDR 400/333/266 SDRAM support
SPD support
ECC memory support
Max. Cap. Is 1 GB for each channel /2GB total

Expand Slots
3 PCI
1 AGP 8X

So, you can go with DDR400 and actually enjoy the benefits of it.

Yeah ditch the pc2700 (ddr333) you are using now and get 2x512 of pc3200 (ddr400) That will make a big improvment. I am using a 6800gs/oc and it works very well. I would go the ram route now then buy the best card you can afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom