Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
System is looking to be:

4gb DDR2 800 RAM
Intel Quad Core
Four SATA HDD's (500, 500, 250, 250)
Like a 9400GT 512mb graphics card

I been looking at a minimum of 550ish watt. I've looked at generic PSU wattage calculators but I figured I'd ask the guys here.

Thoughts?

Oh, and Rosewill? They been getting some sick reviews on newegg. I remember them (about 5 years ago) sucking. Thoughts?

I mean 550w is definately overkill for your current setup,but it is nice to be future proof. I got this one and have had nothing but good experiences especially for the price. Newegg.com - Rosewill RP550-2 550W ATX12V v2.01 Power Supply - Power Supplies
side note I am next to positive your 9400gt would get it in but from a 9600gso. 96 stream processors vs 16, 192 bit vs 128 bit... yeah don't get that, here.
Newegg.com - EVGA 384-P3-N967-TR GeForce 9600 GSO Superclocked 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

System is looking to be:

4gb DDR2 800 RAM
Intel Quad Core
Four SATA HDD's (500, 500, 250, 250)
Like a 9400GT 512mb graphics card

I been looking at a minimum of 550ish watt. I've looked at generic PSU wattage calculators but I figured I'd ask the guys here.

Thoughts?

Oh, and Rosewill? They been getting some sick reviews on newegg. I remember them (about 5 years ago) sucking. Thoughts?

Rosewill still sucks. I'd recommend a corsair 550w Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Kinda high up there in price, boss. If I can get a good 550w PSU for 60 bones I'd be happy.

Do you think 550w for what I'm running is overkill? What do you think a system with 4 drives, 4 gig of RAM, and 4 cores would draw?

Intel Core 2 Quad processors don't draw much power, RAM doesn't make much difference, and a 9400GT shouldn't need much power at all. 550 watts sounds good, but there's two roads you can take. You can get a corsair 550vx power supply, which has amazing ratings, and is an all around excellent PSU, or a piece of junk Rosewill 550w. You get what you pay for, and if your power supply fails, then it can potentially cause more harm to your computer. Your choice.

alright, um no it is not a total piece of junk. Have either of you owned one?
I agree the corsair is better but I have been able to overclock just fine on mine and run a 6800ultra and later a 8800gs so.... I don't know what you guys are talking about.

alright, um no it is not a total piece of junk. Have either of you owned one?
I agree the corsair is better but I have been able to overclock just fine on mine and run a 6800ultra and later a 8800gs so.... I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Just because you have one good rosewill PSU doesn't mean it's a good brand. I'd never plug a PSU that is known to die into $1k+ worth of hardware just to save $50 now.

And my friend DID have one. It smoked out the back, popped, and took out his mobo.

thank you puddlejumper. Wow, ok now moving on... Thing runs night and day for over 2 years! got a budget, get the rosewill don't worry about these guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom