what size is my tower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewjustforyou

In Runtime
I am looking at buying graphics cards, and alot of these modern ones are coming with the reivew "if you have a midsized tower, beware"

well I have an out of the box p.c. I am slowly upgrading (its a gateway), and it seems like a fullsized tower, but I have seen some pretty massive towers out there, and I only have 1 x16 slot, which leads me to worry that if I cant fit it in that one, there is no other option but returning it...

so, out of the box p.c., it stands about... 18 inches high, 5-7 inches wide ( I could break out the tape measure, but you guys are so smart you dont need it for this type of guesstimating, do you?)

thanks alot!

oh, and if you wouldnt mind helping a guy out, videocard question...

should I go with a 9800 gtx+ that has 512 gddr3, or 1 gig gddr3? or spend the extra 30-40 and get the 260?

260: Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1260-AR GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

9800 1 gig: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-N98XPZL-1GH GeForce 9800 GTX+ 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

9800 512: Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N879-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

or would you guys have any suggestions for cards to get? (on a budget, just looking for an upgrade from my 79th ranked 8500 gt, got the 650 watt power supply, I figure it can run just about anything)

gateway

I am guessing mid tower (or smaller) post up the model and we'll know for sure

I am in the same boat too
can't decide to go with GTS 250 or GTX 260

(GTS 250 is basically a 9800GTX+, but shorter and consumes less power)

but in your case, coming from 8500GT you'll be impressed with the gain of graphics power with any of those cards

well Ive made a rough estimate (using a sheet of 8.5x11 inch paper that my computer case is about 14 inches long... 260 is about 10.5 inches long, I dont remember the insides but worst comes to worst I cut out a harddrive bay (i only have the 1 harddrive) right?

oh and Fat Clown, where are you finding the 250s? I have been looking for one... links please?

-edit-

disgaea for the win... bring disgaea 3 to the ps2!!! or the 360.... or... just stop making the series, shouldve stopped after the first one imo...

(sorry for all you real techies who could care less)

well Ive made a rough estimate (using a sheet of 8.5x11 inch paper that my computer case is about 14 inches long... 260 is about 10.5 inches long, I dont remember the insides but worst comes to worst I cut out a harddrive bay (i only have the 1 harddrive) right?

oh and Fat Clown, where are you finding the 250s? I have been looking for one... links please?

-edit-

disgaea for the win... bring disgaea 3 to the ps2!!! or the 360.... or... just stop making the series, shouldve stopped after the first one imo...

(sorry for all you real techies who could care less)

LoL @ Disgaea comment :p but I love the series...... I hope they don't discontinue it

from what I can tell, only Evga has their GTS 250 out as of this moment
EVGA | Articles | Introducting EVGA's GTS 250
they are available at Evga's store or Zipzoomfly

I really don't know about the insides of your tower, some towers have their HDD mounted vertically. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom