What should I upgrade?

An Nvidia Geforce 980 requires a minimum of 600W to run the video card.

I don't believe downgrading to a 520W from his current 550W is going to help him in upgrading his system.
Stupid reasoning to me.

THen you don't understand the difference between a quality and **** PSU then, nor the difference between continuous and peak power.

A reference 980 at stock only draws 190W from the PSU and let's say we coupled that with his i3 which will only draw about 45w. Now why do we need 750W worth of continuous power to feed barely over 200W worth of hardware? Considering the budget at hand here getting a cheaper unit assuming dual cards is out of the question would be the most logical choice.

Not to be rude but if you're going to recommend parts on these forums at least have a firm understanding of not only the hardware being recommended but also the needs, wants, and potential budget of the poster. The guy may want 750W worth of PSU but his piecing one part at a time says budget isn't there and money would be better spent on getting a cheaper unit. Not to mention his 550W piece of trash is rated at peak power and I'd be willing to bet if it wasn't for him running a power sipping i3 it would have popped by now. I wouldn't say going to a 520W PSU that could hold that output continuously vs a peak rating of 550W that will probably pop over 450W draw is a downgrade.

I am recommending him hardware on the thought process that he will continue upgrading in the future. a 520Watt will allow him to upgrade his Video card and call it quits since his current system assuming keyboard, mouse and usb devices will peak near 500.

A 750 watt will allow him to upgrade the motherboard, processor and ram in the future.

It sounds great when you can throw wattage of a video card out there but you are not foreseeing future planning or additions that he hasn't mentioned.

I can toss my 3960x and Titan X on my Seasonic fanless Platinum 520W without it breaking a sweat.

The GPU and CPU are the only two heavy hitters and if mainstream Intel (which we can assume) is what he sticks with his CPU won't exceed 80W from the PSU. That leaves us with 400W worth of GPU that can be attained and used continuously. Adding small things like fans or SSDs won't draw enough to be worth mentioning considering your average SSD uses less than 2W and I doubt seriously he'll be using 30+ dollar fans (that's in USD) to draw more than 15W on a fan.

Now as I've said already twice a quality 520W PSU is more than enough to handle any single GPU setup on the market right now. He could go up to a Titan X and a 6700k and still use one of the PSUs I linked previously, mind you least wattage was 550W, but still. Not real sure why people want to recommend over the top gear when it's obvious purchasing hardware that could use a 750W PSU isn't really feasible or else he wouldn't be using an IB i3 and an old 7850 paired with a cheap *** PSU.

Back
Top Bottom