What should I look for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

croSSeduP

In Runtime
Hi. Computer newb here. You guys probably get this here a lot, BUT...

A couple of observations: It seems to me that there are a lot of peeps out there that spend a bunch of money on putting together a gaming computer and then discover they really didn't have the money to build it in the first place, and need to pay rent, so they sell their rig for cheap. I see this on Craigslist all the time. But, since I'm a computer newb, if I want to buy one of these gaming rigs for cheap, I don't know what to look for. Is there someone out there who can point me in a direction for what to look for in a gaming rig that someone wants to unload? Muchos gracias!

TG

If your interested in buying a system, your best bet is to build it yourself.

Those guys on craigslist (i know because im one of them *evil grin*) use anything they can as a sales pitch to get someone to buy their computers. (95% of the time they just upgraded and want to get rid of the old gear)

What kind of gaming are you looking to do?,

Intel machines are much better for overclocking, and they have more L2 cache which is going to increase the overall effective snappiness of the processor slightly. But- AMD processors are still great performance chips, and the high-end dual/tri/quad core AMD processors are also more than capable of playing todays latest and greatest games at high-resolutions and high-details.

It really depends on your budget, and what type of games you are looking to play.

I would agree Intel but as mentioned before it depends on the type of games you want to play, if you're looking to budget, go for AMD it's like Intel, just cheaper and another important thing to consider is your Graphics card. NVidia and Radeon cards are the best.

Intel if it is a Core2Duo or better. If it is a P4, only get it if you want a space heater. Well, they are not that bad, but there is a reason Intel ditched them.

Depending on your budget, an older rig can serve you well. Mine is about three years old, but I have upgraded a few things on it. It is a socket 939 AMD, but I play the new stuff with it. My 3850 is not the top of the line by any means, but I still game with it, too.

It goes by what you can afford. If in doubt, copy and paste the specs here and several will chime in with whether it is worth the money or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom