What should I look for? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 11-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default What should I look for?

Hi. Computer newb here. You guys probably get this here a lot, BUT...

A couple of observations: It seems to me that there are a lot of peeps out there that spend a bunch of money on putting together a gaming computer and then discover they really didn't have the money to build it in the first place, and need to pay rent, so they sell their rig for cheap. I see this on Craigslist all the time. But, since I'm a computer newb, if I want to buy one of these gaming rigs for cheap, I don't know what to look for. Is there someone out there who can point me in a direction for what to look for in a gaming rig that someone wants to unload? Muchos gracias!

Old 11-07-2008, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to RichM499 Send a message via Yahoo to RichM499
Default Re: What should I look for?

If your interested in buying a system, your best bet is to build it yourself.

Those guys on craigslist (i know because im one of them *evil grin*) use anything they can as a sales pitch to get someone to buy their computers. (95% of the time they just upgraded and want to get rid of the old gear)

What kind of gaming are you looking to do?,

Intel machines are much better for overclocking, and they have more L2 cache which is going to increase the overall effective snappiness of the processor slightly. But- AMD processors are still great performance chips, and the high-end dual/tri/quad core AMD processors are also more than capable of playing todays latest and greatest games at high-resolutions and high-details.

It really depends on your budget, and what type of games you are looking to play.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

I would agree Intel but as mentioned before it depends on the type of games you want to play, if you're looking to budget, go for AMD it's like Intel, just cheaper and another important thing to consider is your Graphics card. NVidia and Radeon cards are the best.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

Intel if it is a Core2Duo or better. If it is a P4, only get it if you want a space heater. Well, they are not that bad, but there is a reason Intel ditched them.

Depending on your budget, an older rig can serve you well. Mine is about three years old, but I have upgraded a few things on it. It is a socket 939 AMD, but I play the new stuff with it. My 3850 is not the top of the line by any means, but I still game with it, too.

It goes by what you can afford. If in doubt, copy and paste the specs here and several will chime in with whether it is worth the money or not.

Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / EVGA GTX 760 2GB
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB / WD Red 3TB
G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win7 Ult 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Closed Thread