what power supply for what graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemonfrost

Solid State Member
I recently got a new hp pavilion a6110n and didnt pay enough attention to the graphics card so im stuck wiht a low end NVIDIA 6 series, more info on system should be in my signature, im looking at the 8600gt and up but i dont want to spend more than $150 although i might be able to push it up to $200, one thing that has been worrying me is power supply strenght and quality of a new one and in fine print on the box my comp came in it says "Up to 256MB of main system memory may be allocated to support video graphics"

thanks for your replies

Sounds like integrated graphics to me. When you don't have a dedicated video card, you use system memory as a graphics card instead.

Edit:
After looking at your signature, the NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE is indeed an integrated card. Your computer does not have an actual video card. Your best bet would be to check if it has a PCI Express x16 or an AGP slot. Some computers with integrated graphics also come with a video card slot for future upgrades. Though, right now, it's looking grim.

Edit2:
Alright, after looking up your model of computer, you should have an available PCI Express x16 slot. So no need to worry about that any more. Now as to your question about your power supply. From your signature, you have a 250W Power Supply. That isn't much to upgrade on... Maybe someone with more experience in that field can help you, but I don't think it is enough to get too big of a card. One thing is for sure though, your integrated 6150 SE is junk.

Generally for 7600GTs, it's 350w minimum with the +12 at 18 amps

the 250w you have obviously won't be enough

You don't want the 8600...the only decent 8600 is the 8600GTS...and I still wouldn't recommend that. I recommend looking for a used 8800GTS ...or a used x1950xt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom