What are options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhick40

Baseband Member
Sadly, I have a Hewlett-Packard PC, and I play a fair bit of CS:S. I'm looking to upgrade, but I really need some help. What can I do with this platform? I'll go ahead and post the specs.

Windows XP SP2
1024 DDR400 Ram
Intel P4 2.8ghz
Sound Blaster Audigy (added)
eVGA FX5500 (added)
Plextor 48x CDRW
40gb WD Caviar
Mobo: HP 085Ch
Model: HP d530 SFF (small form factor

It's not a bad system, I mean. You can pretty much do anything with it beside playing games at higher visual. You can still play but at minimal. It's not a big deal, your system spec is higher than most standard people will have in their household. Adding a little more hard drive space would be beneficial.

Hmm, I've opened it earlier and since it is SFF, I'd have to replace the HD. I do have a server which would hold all the data, but I'm thinking I would need to "image" it or something of the sort, as I got this with XP already on it, and have no disc/docs.

Im thinking that you would have AGP. If so go for a 7600GS if you want to play games higher. your CPU, RAM and everything is fine. and you also might wanna upgrade your HDD

Decent system, just upgrade the video card and hard drive. When you buy a new hard drive retail, it comes with a program that allows you to copy the entire contents of your current drive to the newer one.

jhick40 said:
hmm. thanks for the input all.

what can i do for cases? is sff most likely btx then?

BTX may never be used a lot. There really isn't a need for it since CPUs are not getting extremely hot yet.

My apologies, what I meant was does anyone have an idea what case format I would need? The computer itself is SFF, but I don't think the motherboard model is different from the standard d530.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom