What mother board to get to get PCI 16 2.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rally

Baseband Member
Hi all,

I am building a computer for the first time in a while. (the last time was about 12 years ago) Anyhow, I got a tower that looks like plenty of room with a 450 W power supply. This should be enough for now? I mainly use my computer for surfing ebay and Microsoft Flight Simulator so later on down the road I am going to get a video card. I was doing some research about PCI 16x vs PCI 16 2.0. and was thinking about getting this combo Intel Dual Core E6300 2.80GHz CPU Fan Motherboard COMBO - eBay (item 200415977452 end time Jan-02-10 11:57:54 PST)

however I noticed it doesn't do pci 16 2.0. Can anyone point me to place to buy or name of a mother board that would be close to this price. (about $120 bucks for the board and cpu 2.8 ghz intel)

I am on a bit of a budget and just trying to get as much as possible without having to cross the line and spend $400 total. I am aiming around $300 bucks for now. I am going to reuse my old HD for now and upgrade the ram from 2 gb to 4 gb down the road.

So the main question is where to get a board that is 2.0 around the same price (if even possible) and does it really matter?

Thanks

power supply depends on what hardware youre running. 450w should support hardware for an internet rig, but dont expect to get a high end gfx card without upgrading it.

you dont really need to worry about getting a board with a x16 2.0 slot. gfx cards w/ a x16 2.0 interface are backwards compatible with regular pci-e x16 slots. you wont have any problems.

the ebay combo has already ended anyway, but these are some other options for a cpu and mobo.

performance wise, the cpu in this combo is pretty on par with the e6300 in the ebay combo.
this combo includeds a mobo with onboard video.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

or if you plan to buy a dedicated gfx card, this combo includes a larger mobo with more expansion slots, but no onboard video.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

I had been looking mainly at Intel's because that is what I am currently using. No preference though for me. Is there a difference in terms of speed or anything between Intel and AMD?

Thanks

nothing wrong with either, they both make great cpus. although, intel has the upper hand in the high end market for people who are able to spend a little more, while amd holds the medium and low-end markets with better price/performance cpus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom