what is the min that you would get - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 09-03-2005, 04:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I just bought a Dell laptop at a great discount price. Go to Techbagains.com. There you will find special discounts that you can't get at the Dell website. Some are percentage off deals and some have a coupon or two (some coupons are stackable) that you have to enter at checkout after you sign in and establish an account. Click on the link at TB and it will take you to Dell. Many of these specials have a quatity limit of 5000 uses or so and expire very quickly, which unfortunately you don't find out until you get to checkout. Keep checking at TB and they will have more deals in several days. Usually their laptop deals are 35-40% off of Dell's list price.

Don't believe all the negative comments about Dell. Dell bashing is a favorite pastime here. They are not into making top gaming machines but have otherwise excellent computers for your and my uses; web, media, photo and video editing. They actually do put high quality parts in their units; comments to the contrary are nonsense. My new laptop that I configured (you will see at their website that you can custom build any machine they offer) to my liking, also included a DVD burner with dual layer. It is an NEC (excellent retail and OEM brand). You can upgrade their laptops for RAM and hard drive, although 80GB is their current max . PC World Magazine rated the 700m as their top ultra light laptop. Dell has a better reliability record than HP and most other brands, with maybe the exception of Apple (yuk!) and Sony (overpriced).

Strongly suggest you upgrade to their 65 WHr 8 cell high capacity battery for longer life before the battery needs recharging. The maximum RAM is 2GB (for future reference). The 700m has a widescreen 12.1" display. The keyboard is rather compact, as you would expect from such a compact notebook.

This model and the configuration you have chosen sounds like an excellent choice for a lightweight and compact travelling laptop. You have plenty of RAM which is most important. Good luck.

Old 09-03-2005, 07:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to schulz269

Theres good and bad things about every computer company as the same for cars theres lemon cars and theres good cars its jsut the matter of what you think about them personally i like dell and not to much as for HP but Dell has nice support and i know some people that there Dells has lasted a long time and is still running great and most of them are about 3 years old now. BUt i would go with the 1gb ram altho 512 is good for right now.

Closed Thread