What MB and CPU should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwj8741

Beta member
The processor in my comp recently went out so I'm interested in upgrading a bit. I have $550 and all I need to get with that is the motherboard, procesor, and windows OS. My question is what should I get that gives me the most bang for my buck and doesn't go over the $550 budget? I play games on this comp, nothing like crysis but stuff like NWN 2 and WOW.
I was thinking of getting
Newegg.com - EVGA 122-YW-E173-TR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
and
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

What I have to put in to this comp is
2 x 160gb hard drives
1 x 9600 gt video card
16x multiformat dual-layer DVD±RW
9-in-1 media card reader
500w power supply
10/100Mbps integrated Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)

as far as memory I can get whatever type I need to go with the MB outside of te $550 budget

Grab this mobo instead, you'll save 5 bucks after rebate, and it's a great overall board...and it's bundled with the processor you should get instead:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

The E8400 will OC better; the new Q6600s are kinda crap, and they're getting old anyway.

Also, grab this memory, it's some of the best stuff out there:

Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

$320 before rebates/shipping.

EDIT: Updated links to get combo deals.

That's not a bad deal either, but it's 30 bucks more after the MIR...if you can afford it, go with what stalin posted, along with the RAM I posted, and you'll be set.

I second the 8400 its a beast, and check the forums ive seen people selling it for as low as 110 shipped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom