What makes it Fast?

SHELBYGT

In Runtime
As the title says, what makes a computer fast? Is it the processor? Ram?Hard drive?video card?

Also, does internet speed affect performance of a computer? I know if you have a fast internet but have a slow computer you wont see much of a advantage. But what about a slow internet connect on a high end computer? Does the computer have more strain trying to open a tab that is not ready?

Last edited:
A combination of everything. A slow hard drive slows down the whole machine., etc etc.
The most significant component would be either the GPU or CPU depending on the task, though.

A combination of everything. A slow hard drive slows down the whole machine., etc etc.
The most significant component would be either the GPU or CPU depending on the task, though.

So what is the cycle? Cpu-hard drive-ram,video card? Is that the path it takes?

So what is the cycle? Cpu-hard drive-ram,video card? Is that the path it takes?

Much more complicated than that. Mostly it's OS dependent.

The CPU cycles through tasks given to it by the OS (called the scheduler), or waiting for interrupts. Theses tasks are in memory, and when a task is scheduled and ready to receive processing it signals the CPU of this and takes its turn (depending on what it was doing it could access another portion of memory that's allocated to said program, access files on the drive, etc.).

I'd suggest looking into this book: http://www.amazon.com/Operating-System-Concepts-Abraham-Silberschatz/dp/0470128720

Thanks for the info. On the book l, i may pass not because the vast knowledge that i can learn, but that price is a little steep.

Well i scored 2 sticks of ddr 3 ram today, 2x4=8gb. So far my Cq57 really hasn't shown much better performance over the 2gb of ram i had. Believe the processor is the true slow poke. Still, i have 8gb of ram now.

Back
Top Bottom