what kind of RAM with my KT133 motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattd

Baseband Member
Hi, I had a question regarding what kind of RAM is compatible with my motherboard. My motherboard is a "Calgary KT133." I know that I need PC133 SDRAM. Currently I have 2-64MB of single sided RAM. I want to add 256MB of RAM but I'm not sure if I should get single or double sided, and does it really make a difference if their single or double sided. anything else you guys can tell me would be a really big help. Also, I did searches on my motherboard and found nothing

Thanks

your motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-7ZM.

Also, in your search for compatible memory, you will most likely have to RMA sticks due to incompatibility. SDRAM is kinda tricky, it might look legit/compatible on paper, but when you get it home, it might not boot, or comes back errors on memtest86.

I suggest just going somewhere that has memory specifically for your motherboard, it will be more expensive, but less trouble in the long run.

Edit:
Just take a quick look at this page, it has a picture and detailed specs of it.
http://www.gigabyte.de/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7ZM.htm#

uzi9mm, thanks for your help. But what kind of RAM do you think I should get? and what do you mean by "you will most likely have to RMA sticks due to incompatibility."

thanks

Edit: and should i get one or two sided RAM sticks

I mean that sticks of SDRAM are troubled with more incompatibility issues even though the specifications look like they will be compatible.

And RMA means that you will most likely spend more time returning sticks that fail to work. In my past expirences with SDRAM I tried to get a stick of 128mb for a dell, I went thru 3 sticks that were compatible on paper but they failed to boot/pass memtest. Now, if I ever need to upgrade memory for an old computer I buy RAM that is specifically sold for that computer. I end up buying pulled RAM off ebay.

And I have no idea what types of sticks that you need, try opening the computer and looking at the current configuration and see what those sticks are.

Alright I understand, thanks.

I opened up my computer and looked at the RAM and all I can find are a bunch of serial numbers and a sticker that says,"PC133NE64M-01." The problem is that there is soo much cheap RAM on ebay and I don't want to buy one that is not compatible.

KMOTE said:
i thought that single sided ram only came as 32 pin/ 72 pin variants. double sided started at 168 pins. so you should not be able to fit double sided into a single slot anyway.
before my time really.:eek:

Thats what I'm not sure about, I have 2-64MB single sided sticks. I know that I can get 256mb single or double sided and thats why I'm confused.

because i can't post in the buy/sell forum, does anyone have any of the following RAM they are willing to sell?

manufacturer: Crucial Technology
Part Number: CT64M72S4D7E

Manufacturer: Kingston Technology
Part Number: KVR133X64C3/512

Manufacturer: Simple Tech
Part Number: S512L3NDC1

Part Number: SVM-E133/512

Part Number: SVM-E100/512

Manufacturer: Viking Components
Part Number: PC13364X72-CL3