What is the issue is it my graphics card. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 06:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default What is the issue is it my graphics card.

Age of conan is running at ****** fps i was wondering if all the stuff i have the only bad thing is my graphics cards. If yall think it is if anyone could intereste me in buying a 8800 or 9600 cheaper versions is fine 150 or less and if you all could explain if it would work on my motherboard.

Newegg.com - XFX PVT96GYDF4 GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - PNY VCG88512GXPB GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

This is what i have on my cpu.

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Build 5.1 build 2600
Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHx (2 CPUs)
3070MB RAM "Average Memory Used is 1019MB RAM"
DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Dell Dxp051
Buss Type - Intel NetBurst
Bus Width - 64-bit
Real Clock - 200mhz (QDR)
Effective Clock - 800 mhz
Bandwidth - 6400 MB/s

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE (512MB) at 1280 x 1024 Display 60hz what i run it at. Dirvers are updated also.

SigmaTel Audio "Sound really doesent bother me though"

Old 07-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Default Re: What is the issue is it my graphics card.

Ok, ya its your GPU, it sucks, but your CPU is also pretty crappy too

Make the move to the 9600gt it'll work as its got a PCI-e port, and if you want upgrade that cruddy CPU to the e2160 or something, thats even a good upgrade too

or get this:
Newegg.com - MSI R4850-T2D512 Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards instead of both, as it performs each badly!

But the Pentium D is going to bottleneck that GPU, so get the e2160, and overclock it (now before you say its slower than your Pentium D read this)
Common Noob Myths

I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 07-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

he's on a dell, and can't overclock it. and i would say the board most likely doesn't support core 2 architecture so he's stuck with the pentium D.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

D'oh I didn't see the part where it said Dell...

But he's right, probably can't upgrade to the Core 2 Duo, probably not without a BIOS update

Also his PSU is probably not going to cut the HD 4850, he could upgrade it to those PC Power and Cooling Dell upgrade PSU's
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

Old 07-13-2008, 06:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

dell cases and psu's are proprietary down to the screws so it will be tough to pop in a normal atx psu into the dell.

also you can't bios upgrade if the bios is locked
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post

also you can't bios upgrade if the bios is locked
Yeah you can. They might provide BIOS updates via Dell's website, is what vernong means, lol. I did it on my HP PC a few months ago.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 07-13-2008, 06:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

hmm, i wasn't aware of that fact. well, then yeah check on the dell site with the OP's computer model and see if you can pop a core2duo chip in there.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageX View Post
Yeah you can. They might provide BIOS updates via Dell's website, is what vernong means, lol. I did it on my HP PC a few months ago.
Ya thats what I meant, bad wording

Dell Upgrade Power Supplies from PC Power & Cooling

You can get upgrades from them

Old 07-13-2008, 06:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

so then he can upgrade the psu, and gpu, and that should probably provide enough power to run AoC at respectable frames with decent enough settings.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well in the case of all information you guys hooking me up with looks like im just going to custom build no sense in waiting anylonger get me the 280 or something with the new pentium core duo. Thanks for all the feedback :X.

I can build the computer and everything from scratch its the products im not allways sure of thanks guys if i need anymore help you will see me back on ehre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
Ok, ya its your GPU, it sucks, but your CPU is also pretty crappy too

Make the move to the 9600gt it'll work as its got a PCI-e port, and if you want upgrade that cruddy CPU to the e2160 or something, thats even a good upgrade too

or get this:
Newegg.com - MSI R4850-T2D512 Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards instead of both, as it performs each badly!

But the Pentium D is going to bottleneck that GPU, so get the e2160, and overclock it (now before you say its slower than your Pentium D read this)
Common Noob Myths

And yes i know my pen d sucks over a core duo :X

Closed Thread