What hard drive to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harnar123

Daemon Poster
I was just trying to decide whether to get SSD or or a standard one. I am leaning towards a standard one as the amount of space that comes with ssds is low.
I am out of date as to which standard one has the best price to performance ratio.
I play a lot of poker and do a lot of data processing with it (ie running 20 tables, data mining all of them) and I am wondering if SSD's are good for this type of operation.
Also, I was thinking about running my poker program off a usb stick and was wondering if there would be a huge performance hit or if I would notice a small increase in performance. To help, the poker programs I use run with postgres sql.

so basically if I do SSD, I am looking to put windows, poker programs, and maybe a game or two on it. I do have a drive that is gonna be under warranty so I will not have to buy a stander hard drive for storage if I do go SSD

SSD while very fast are still overpriced to performance for my taste. I would get a standard 7200rpm 32mb cache hard drive.

What software do you use for your data mining? I have always used Enterprise Miner in conjunction with SPSS and SAS.

Personally I think conventional hard drives are the largest bottleneck in a modern system and SSD's can go a long way towards relieving it. Unfortunately they aren't cheap.
Agreed 100%. It's really just about how much price you're willing to put into performance. Data mining however would be a more RAM and CPU intensive operation wouldn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom