What is this doohicky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generic

Solid State Member
I unscrewed the fan on my Dell desktop computer and forgot to screw it back in, with the result that the next time I inserted the power plug back into the computer the fan fell out to the inside. When I opened the case to put it back, this little doohicky came clattering out. As far as I can tell it has no sign of breakage; all of its flat edges appear to have been molded, not broken. And darned if I know where it's supposed to go. The good news is that the computer's running fine without it so far.

It's plastic, green, and about a half inch by a half inch square. It is mostly flat. It has a circular smooth raised bump on it with two parallel linear marks on the bump, which makes it look a lot like a button a human is meant to press. There are three appendages extending from the body of the doohicky; the outer two have recessed rectangles attached to them on the inner side. I have attached a schematic diagram of the object.

Any clues, hints, speculations?

Attachments

• doohicky.bmp
    52.9 KB · Views: 30
I think its just part of the fan, ya know the big green kinda tube thing, it doesnt really matter, it wont make your computer stop working, you screwed the waranty on it tho.

First of all, what model dell do you have. I've worked on alamo all models of dell in the last 6 years and to me that looks like the small plastic piece that is on the (NON-SCREW assembly) that holds the PCI cards in place. There is a plastic bar that comes up and there is a green plastic piece that fits the size of a thumb that you press to lock the piece into place. I don't know how the hell else to explain it, but that's what your .BMP looked like to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom