What Do You Think of This Basic Rig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisharris

Baseband Member
Gigabyte 8IPE1000 board. Socket 478. It's got 800mhz FSB and 4 ram slots. 2 IDE ports and 2 SATA ports. On board sound. 5 PCI slots and a single APG 8X slot.

Going to use a Celeron D 2.0ghz CPU and a stock fan--if it'll keep it cool enough. I think the CPU is 400mhz FSB.

680W Power Supply

Basic video card with 64bit interface and 128mb ram. Probably my old GF MX4000.

I've got 2 sticks of 512mb ram. Put those in slots 1 and 3 so that it'll run dual channel.

My old Maxtar DiamondMax 8 40gig HD.

Basic CD drive and CR-RW. Standard floopy drive.

10/100 ethernet PCI card

The board is a bit fancy for the rest of the hardware, but it should work.

What do ya think?

Editid four spelng :eek:

are you buying these parts? or you have this computer and just so that you can sleap easier at night you want us to tell you what we think of it?

The PSU is double what you need for that rig but will work.

500mb Ram ??? You mean 512

Socket 468 ??? You mean 478

Yup--478. Sorry about that. 512mb ram. Was typing too fast and didn't proofread it before posting. Sorry

I just have these extra parts lying around. Thought I'd buy a case and slap it together. They are just collecting dust. Not worth selling them.

I'd like to take this comuter that I'm using now, and put it in my shop downstairs. It's turning into a gaming rig.

I wanted to put these other extra parts in a case and use it for internet surfing. Good enough for my wife and I for surfing?

All I'd have to buy would be a $30 case, and a 60mm case fan ($5).

ya that should be good enough for surfing, Make sure you don't need a 80mm fan (most cases take 80-120mm fans).

I've got a couple 80mm fans and a 120mm for the back of the case.

The 60mm fan is for the side cover. It's got a vent on the side cover and it's for a 60mm fan.

Do you guys always point your fans so that they blow OUT?

A local friend is sucking air in the front with 2x60mm fans--and blowing it over his hard drives. Then blowing air out the back with a 120mm fan. And a 60mm fan blowing out the side cover.

I set all my case fans to blow hot air OUT. I figure the case has enough holes in it to suck in cold air.

680 watt PSU!?!?! you really do not need that much. I guess if you already have it then its fine. Its good enough for web surfing for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom