What do you think about this setup? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2011, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default What do you think about this setup?

Looking to build a new rig link attached contains the parts im thinking about getting....Wanting to overclock any and everything i can.

Let me know what you think and what numbers i could hit...Havent figured out the route i wanted to go for cpu cooling so any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Amazon.com: jordan edinger: Pc

Old 01-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default Re: What do you think about this setup?

For ram get either 6GB(3x2GB) or 12GB(3x4GB), it uses triple channel ram. It can use dual channel, but triple is better. Since you plan to overclock, you should get faster ram too.

Get the "black" series for hard drive unless you are using the "green" drive for storage. "Green" drives run slower. Maybe get an ssd for the main drive.

As for overclocking numbers, it depends...you could range from 3.8Ghz-4.5Ghz. Every part plays a factor in your overclockability.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
ninja troll
Default Re: What do you think about this setup?

your harddrive is a 'green' and isnt suitable for anything really except storage of music, video type files. get a 'black' edition as mentioned above
the power supply is probably a bit overkill. the coolermaster branded psu's arent really recommended. check out ste's thread on power supplies. my own preference is corsair.
you can get a better price for a better card on newegg Newegg.com - 5870
in fact, i recommend buying everything on newegg, with a few exceptions here and there for tigerdirect
Intel Core i5-2500K
ASUS P8Z68-V LE LGA 1155 Intel Z68
Corsair 550VX
1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F3
1Tb WD Caviar Green
2Tb WD Caviar Green
8gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600
Sapphire Radeon 6870

Closed Thread