What display to buy o.O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Applepie

Beta member
Hi guys, first time poster :)

So yeah, basically I need a new display but what really bugs me is
16:10 vs 16:9.

The display will be mainly used for gaming so I wonder, what resolution, what size and what type of display would fit me best?

I have gotten some really good offers on:

Viewsonic VX2739WM 27" Full HD 1MS VGA DVI HDMI USB
And
Fujitsu SL27T-1 27"LED Full HD 3MS VGA 2xHDMI

Both are 27", gotten good offers on em because I got a friend who works at a computer shop and they got delivered too many of these, hence they selling them to employees for their retail price. (around 200 euros, they are around 300-350 otherwise)

But yeah, they are 27, is that too big for gaming, should I go for a same priced (200 €) sub 27"?

What displays would you guys suggest?
Thanks for all inputs
smile.gif

27" is a pretty darn big screen, that said I've seen people gaming on bigger. Depends on how close you'll be sitting to it, if it's a normal setup with the monitor only a foot or two away from you, then IMO it might just be hedging on a little big.

I sit about 3 feet away from the monitor, desk is a little bigger than regular ones but still its only 3 feet.
The first of those monitors cost 340 € at the cheapest store, and I could get it for 220 €, quite an offer. Not sure what to do here.

Are 24" preferred over 25" and up?

I sit about 2 feet away from my 24" and for me it's just the right size, maybe even a smidge too big, but I love it. If your computer can handle it, definitely snap up a 27"

The difference between 16:9 and 16:10 is just the vertical pixels, it's just 1920x1080 vs 1910x1200 respectively. I personally like having the extra 120 vertical pixels, it would skew native 1080p content, but I don't think it's the end of the world personally, so I went for the 16:10 ratio.

In answer to your question to your 24" vs 25"+ is just the resolution vs size ratio. The resolution is the same from a 24" up to a 29" (I don't think they make 29" monitors, but just go with it for argument sake), it bumps up to the next resolution size at 30". The problem that you run into is the same with tv's, if you've got 1080p content on 2 1080p TV's it'd look a lot crisper and sharper on a 32" tv than on a 60" tv just due to the fact that the same amount of pixels are covering 28 more inches. Same applies with monitors, a 24" and 27" use the same amount of pixels but are required to cover 3 more inches so it won't look as crisp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom