what is the best processor type to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

corvette

Beta member
hi its very confusing these days on what type of laptop to buy ,there is too many different type of processor tyyes like celeron amd, amd64 ,amd athlon,sempron celeron m, turion, pentium, pentium centrino,centrino n,then there is the one that show one of these processors i have shown and i am sure i missed a few that say with , power now technology and hyper-threding and speed step and etc ect ect....what is the best and how do u find out????thanx

there are 2 main brands of CPU's
AMD
they make the Athlon's, Semprons and Turions.

Athlons are their main CPU's, the current series being the Athlon 64.

their previous generation of CPU's is the Athlon XP. both the Athlon XP and Athlon 64 compete against Intel's Pentium 4
the Athlon XP competing with earlier Pentium 4's
the Athlon 64 competing with the more recent Pentium 4's.

Semprons are a budget CPU. the less expensive version of the Athlon 64's. they're not bad performance-wise

Opterons are their high-end CPU's, used for high power computers, such as Servers.

Turions are designed to consume little power. they are used for Laptops.

Intel
this is the brand most people use. but that's only because they really know how to sell their CPU's.

Intel's main CPU is the Pentium. their current series being the Pentium 4. its direct competitor is AMD's Athlon 64, or for the lower versions, the Athlon XP

Intel's budget CPU is the Celeron. a cut-down version of the Pentium's, made because they cost less.

Intel's Xeons are their high power CPU's used in servers and such. they compete with the Opterons. and are currently behind.

Intel's Laptop CPU is the Pentium M. made to use little power.

-------------------

out of these, I'd recommend an Athlon 64, Sempron, Turion or Pentium M if you are getting a Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom