What about Intel...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I'm an AMD kind of guy, mostly because that's what I grew up using on the family PC and what is most suggested here...

However, a few people have came to me with requests to have a PC built for them. I'm very fluent with building computers, however as odd as it sounds I only know about AMD setups. When it comes to Intel, I have no idea.

For example...

754 socket is the AMD socket that's more or less being faded out. 939 is the new thing most people are suggested to get when upgrading. 940 exists as well but mostly as server sockets as I'm aware.

Okay, that's all well and good. But what about Intel? What sockets are the AMD competitors of the s754, s939, s940, etc.

btw - Is there some kind of web site I can just read and read and read and within a days time know anything I want to know about RAM, bios settings, how a CPU/mobo/graphics card/anything else works? I have a lot of interest in this stuff and a few hours of free time every morning, figured I'd ask.

I know I'm gonna take some criticism for this, but here goes:

- Socket 478 (Pentium 4/Celeron) is to Socket 754, as both are being phased out, and are considered "obsolete."

- Socket 939 is to Socket T (or Socket LGA 775) as both are the newest and most supported technologies from both companies, and both are generally intended for the "average" (ie. not server) user.

- Socket 603 and 604 are to Socket 940, because both are the high-end processor sockets.

That's pretty much it, in a nutshell...

One other big difference is the chipset layout that Intel uses. Intel uses Northbridge and Southbridge chips to allow the CPU to communicate with all the other devices.

The Northbridge is directly connected to the CPU FSB. The NB also connects to other high speed devices, like the AGP or PCI-E x16 bus, and to the memory (RAM) controller. It also supplies a link to the Southbridge.

The SB is what connects all of the slower devices, like regular PCI slots, or IDE controllers, or SATA controllers.

This is different from AMD which uses an on-die memory controller, and a "chipset" which controls the rest.

I know I'm gonna take some criticism for this, but here goes:
OMG! THats all wrong, MacDude! Hahaha. That looks fine to me. Good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom