Techist - Tech Forum

Techist - Tech Forum (http://www.techist.com/forums/)
-   System Upgrades (http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/)
-   -   What 120mm fan do you recommend for an Antec H20 620 CPU Liquid Cooler? (http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/what-120mm-fan-do-you-recommend-antec-h20-620-cpu-liquid-cooler-260908/)

soarwitheagles 09-15-2012 06:11 PM

What 120mm fan do you recommend for an Antec H20 620 CPU Liquid Cooler?
 
Hi everyone!

I am putting together a new rig.

I wanted some suggestions as to what 120mm fan do you recommend for an Antec H20 620 CPU Liquid Cooler?

Here's my set up:

HAF X
ASRock 77 Extreme
Intel i5-3570
Corsair LP 1600 16GB RAM
OCZ ZX 850

The Antec H20 620 CPU Liquid Cooler comes stock with the Antec 120mm fan.

I keep reading about high static fans or something of that sort.

What do you recommend?

Soar

hikaricloud 09-15-2012 06:24 PM

Re: What 120mm fan do you recommend for an Antec H20 620 CPU Liquid Cooler?
 
Really depends on how you feel about noise versus airflow. I always recommend these for 120mm fans due to being fairly quiet (19dBa) and having a decently high airflow by comparison (69CFM). You can choose from blue/red/green for LEDs...I personally use these (blue) in my [rarely cleaned] case and they are still going strong after 2 years:

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER R4-L2R-20AC-GP 120mm Blue LED Case Fan

If you don't care much about noise and want high airflow, Scythe makes a decent 120mm fan...but at 46dBa it's really loud. 133CFM is nice, but at the cost of your hearing, haha.

Newegg.com - Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm Case Fan

If you decide to go with the Cooler Master fan, but don't want LEDs (cause you're a CRAZY PERSON THEY LOOK SO AWESOME OMG ok I'm done. The blue LEDs do seriously look nice.) you can get this one with the same specs without any LEDs, but it's a dollar more.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER R4-C2R-20AC-GP 120mm Case Fan

soarwitheagles 09-15-2012 06:50 PM

Re: What 120mm fan do you recommend for an Antec H20 620 CPU Liquid Cooler?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hikaricloud (Post 1990853)
Really depends on how you feel about noise versus airflow. I always recommend these for 120mm fans due to being fairly quiet (19dBa) and having a decently high airflow by comparison (69CFM). You can choose from blue/red/green for LEDs...I personally use these (blue) in my [rarely cleaned] case and they are still going strong after 2 years:

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER R4-L2R-20AC-GP 120mm Blue LED Case Fan

If you don't care much about noise and want high airflow, Scythe makes a decent 120mm fan...but at 46dBa it's really loud. 133CFM is nice, but at the cost of your hearing, haha.

Newegg.com - Scythe DFS123812-3000 "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm Case Fan

If you decide to go with the Cooler Master fan, but don't want LEDs (cause you're a CRAZY PERSON THEY LOOK SO AWESOME OMG ok I'm done. The blue LEDs do seriously look nice.) you can get this one with the same specs without any LEDs, but it's a dollar more.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER R4-C2R-20AC-GP 120mm Case Fan

Thank you for your input. Well, I have each of those Coolermaster fans you have mentioned.

I know the 3000 rpm Scythe would be way too loud for me. I like quiet.

But what about this high static pressure factor that is recommended for radiators on these cpu liquid coolers?

hikaricloud 09-15-2012 07:27 PM

Re: What 120mm fan do you recommend for an Antec H20 620 CPU Liquid Cooler?
 
Well, I'm no expert on water cooling, but from what I understand it depends on the Fins Per Inch (FPI) of your rad. That Antec seems to have a pretty low FPI, so you can use lower RPM fans and still get good performance, allowing for a quieter setup. This is where I think the CM fans are your best bet, because they push a fair bit of air with minimal noise. The RPM/CFM combo would be okay with medium FPI rads as well, but if you had a high FPI (20+), you may have needed a higher pressure fan to make sure it cools properly.

General rule of thumb from what I can see is lower FPI, focus on decent CFM, higher FPi, go with high pressure fans (such as that Scythe).

EDIT: Actually, your FPI is probably at the higher end of a low figure, or lower end of a medium figure. Either way, the CM fans should be fine.

PP Mguire 09-15-2012 11:07 PM

Re: What 120mm fan do you recommend for an Antec H20 620 CPU Liquid Cooler?
 
Sythe makes a regular Kaze fan that isn't as loud. I have it on my H50. If you want quiet and fans that do good static pressure then you want Noctua fans.

I'll also mention, that unless you have longer screws the Ultra Kaze wont fit on your rad. It is thicker.

hikaricloud 09-15-2012 11:27 PM

Re: What 120mm fan do you recommend for an Antec H20 620 CPU Liquid Cooler?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PP Mguire (Post 1990892)
Sythe makes a regular Kaze fan that isn't as loud. I have it on my H50. If you want quiet and fans that do good static pressure then you want Noctua fans.

I'll also mention, that unless you have longer screws the Ultra Kaze wont fit on your rad. It is thicker.

I take it the fact you didn't mention anything about the FPI and stuff means I was actually pretty spot on?

:Gasp:

PP Mguire 09-15-2012 11:40 PM

Re: What 120mm fan do you recommend for an Antec H20 620 CPU Liquid Cooler?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hikaricloud (Post 1990897)
I take it the fact you didn't mention anything about the FPI and stuff means I was actually pretty spot on?

:Gasp:

Lol sorry I wasn't really paying attention. Honestly, I stopped caring about pressure when I got out of big tower air coolers. It doesn't really matter too much on rads.

soarwitheagles 09-16-2012 12:07 AM

Re: What 120mm fan do you recommend for an Antec H20 620 CPU Liquid Cooler?
 
2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hikaricloud (Post 1990862)
Well, I'm no expert on water cooling, but from what I understand it depends on the Fins Per Inch (FPI) of your rad. That Antec seems to have a pretty low FPI, so you can use lower RPM fans and still get good performance, allowing for a quieter setup. This is where I think the CM fans are your best bet, because they push a fair bit of air with minimal noise. The RPM/CFM combo would be okay with medium FPI rads as well, but if you had a high FPI (20+), you may have needed a higher pressure fan to make sure it cools properly.

General rule of thumb from what I can see is lower FPI, focus on decent CFM, higher FPi, go with high pressure fans (such as that Scythe).

EDIT: Actually, your FPI is probably at the higher end of a low figure, or lower end of a medium figure. Either way, the CM fans should be fine.

Ok, I just installed the CM Sickle Flow 120mm. What appealed to me the most was the low 20 dBa, the 70 CFM, and the 2.94 mmH2O.]. I sure hope it gets the job done. If not, I have several versions of the Scythe and Gentle Typhoons. I suppose I can swap them out if the performance is not that good. I really would like to have a somewhat quiet computer with good airflow.

I am seriously contemplating installing one more as the push fan. Presently, I only installed the pull fan.

Darn, I just realized there are no mounting holes for a bottom fan. I've installed a bottom fans on my last two personal computers CM Storm Sniper and CM HAF 932 and have always been very happy with the extra air flow. I thought about making a fan hole template and drilling some holes in the bottom of this HAF X

Any suggestions?

PP Mguire 09-16-2012 12:16 AM

Re: What 120mm fan do you recommend for an Antec H20 620 CPU Liquid Cooler?
 
If you only OC to 3.7ghz on that 2500k then a single fan is fine.

hikaricloud 09-16-2012 12:19 AM

Re: What 120mm fan do you recommend for an Antec H20 620 CPU Liquid Cooler?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by PP Mguire (Post 1990902)
Lol sorry I wasn't really paying attention. Honestly, I stopped caring about pressure when I got out of big tower air coolers. It doesn't really matter too much on rads.

Gotcha. I know with the Koolance rads, they have a super dense FPI, it's like 30 or something crazy. I figure with those you probably have to be a bit choosy with with fans, since they need more pressure to push the air through, but this one doesn't seem too dense.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.