Well...my forcasted money supply has been cut short

Status
Not open for further replies.

COD2_fanatic

Daemon Poster
As my title says the amount of money i was planning to have this year has been cut short as i have lost one of my mowing jobs. So untill next year i'm wanting to make my rig last as long as possible.

At the moment i'm running on an old P4 3.0 Prescott w/1GB of RAM and an FX5200. I also have my Opteron 144 in my closet since the board screwed up.

So i'm thinking right now just to pick up a good price/performance AGP (or PCIe) card to last me the rest of the year. I dont play much games when it comes to variety but i do play Counter Strike Source and Dawn of War alot.

But, anyway, i'm looking for suggestions on either getting a new AGP card or a new board for my Opty and a decent PCIe card to last me the rest of the year.

My limit is $200 to 250.

Oh and if i can get my hands on an A8N5X i'll use it for my Opty.

slight problem, i've NEVER found an ATI chipset board that is compatible with an Opteron and i'm not to trust worthy of that company the way it is.

sadly i wish that were true, but not every CPU is compatible with every chipset, and since the Opteron is a server CPU most desktop boards dont even support them. Even if other baords with the same chipset support them it may not have the right code in the BIOS to support it

Yes....most of them...The Opteron 1 series (as far as i know all of the 1 series) were produced on Socket 939 and most motherboards such as the DFI Lanparty series had unofficial support for them but, since most of those boards are running scarce its hard to find one that supports them now.

The Socket 940 was an actual server socket, and in some cases was able to run dual CPU's which the Socket 939 was incapable of (sadly).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom