WD or Seagate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M733mhz

Daemon Poster
Well, Real simple, I'm getting a hard drive soon and I need non-biased opinions on which is a more reliable brand. What do you guys use in your systems? I haven't gone through enough HDDs to develop my own opinion so any input would help me out greatly here. Thanks guys.

I have owned both seagate and western digital, I had only one wd fail ever, and it was a good 5 years old, and it was a 4gb drive. But I have several as of now, and no issues...

As of now, I have two Seagates and two WDs. And I've never had a problem with either. Even before, throughout my entire history with computers, I've never had a problem with the two. I got some nine year olds still kicking.

Basically, either one you pick, is a great brand. Although Seagates have a five year warranty over WD's three.

personally i have never had a WD fail and i have owned a good number of them (currently running 6 of them around the place and never had a hiccup). i have had a couple of dead seagates though but in their defence they were fairly old drives. seagates have always seemed noisier to me despite peoples complaints about the so called "WD click of death".

Had plenty of both in the past, never, ever had an issue with either, apart from the inevitable lifetime of your average hard-disk.

Take either, both as good as each other to be honest.

Hmm, Sounds fair. I think I might go with the Seagate. My last two drives that just died on me were a Seagate and a WD, Go figure. Thanks again for the input, I'll just have to remember to back up my data this time!

How about Maxtor?

Is there anything wrong with the Maxtors?

I really do not know much at all, but I have used Maxtors since before 2000 and had my computer on nearly everyday and it worked sweet.

I just installed two new Maxtor SATA II's on my new build. Was that a poor choice on my part?

Not-so-fast-Freddy

Maxtor is now owned by Seagate. Maybe their quality has gone up. But Seagate and WD are the top two, and I would take them over any other company for hard drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom