which way to point fan on CPU? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2009, 05:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to Ethan_Kaizer Send a message via MSN to Ethan_Kaizer
Default Re: which way to point fan on CPU?

You generally want all of the airflow to be steady in one direction. Most heatsinks have the fans pulling the heat off the CPU.

||Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.4 GHz (OC coming soon) || Biostar TP45HP || 4GB Kingston DDR2 667 RAM ||
Sapphire HD 4670 512mb @778/1140 || Antec Trio 650w || Maxtor 250gb 7200 RPM HDD || Lite-On DVD-RW || Black Aluminum Case||
Old 01-20-2009, 07:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Excluding slot processors I've only ever had "conventional" (heatsink parallel to CPU, fan on top of heatsink blowing down onto the heatsink) and "tower?" (heatsink perpendicular to cpu, fan mounted on the side) heatsinks. For the tower heatsinks I have always put the fan on the side away from the exhaust, but blowing through the heatsink towards the exhaust.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 01-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Thank you guys for the input.
The reason I ask this is because I am about to build my first computer. I am able to just barely pull this off on my budget and buying a computer case would break that budget. So I am going to use an old computer case for my new computer-innards.

On my old PC case, the PSU lays side ways. The old PSU (Which I am going to be replacing) blew air directly against the CPU heatsink and its fan. The old PC case I am talking about is for a PentiumII CPU, the computer is made by Packard Bell.

The new 12V ATX PSU that I am getting will be drawing air from within the case and blowing it out of the case.

The PSU and CPU heatsink/fan will be about a half inch from each other (assuming everything fits together in this case).

So, I figured having the CPU fan blow air directly into the PSU fan intake, to be exhausted out of the case, would be the best scenario, I just didn't know if this was against the rules of cooling a CPU or not.

The real downside to this is that the PSU I am buying is cheap. And I know that the more heat these things are under the less watts they can properly deliver. In this scenario the PSU will have all the CPU heat blown directly into it.

In case it matters, the CPU I intend on buying is AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200 2.7GHz @ 65W
It's retail, and says it comes with a heatsink and fan. I assume it comes with some kind of thermal compound too.

The PSU is a HEC 585W ATX12V

HP Pavilion 7920
901MHz Intel processor, 256MB SDRAM,
30GB & 250GB IDE Hard Drives (NTFS)
Audio= Intel 82801AA AC\'97 Audio Controller
Video= Intel 82810 Graphics Controller
OS= WinXP Pro / SP3 (32 bit)
Closed Thread