Be warned of UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

FourTwenny

In Runtime
I ordered the processor in my signature on May 7th. They just brought it today. When the door was not answered within 5 seconds they placed the package with my $300 processor on the ground at my back door. Luckily the sound of the dogs barking woke me up and i went to go check.

Just maybe be careful with UPS. I thought they would have gotten me to come pick up my package if i wasn't home to receive it but that's not the case.

Unless something is shipped with it requiring a signature (which has to do with the shipper), if the delivery man see's it appropriate, he will leave it at the door. Also, UPS doesn't know what's inside your box, could have been a $10 Snow Globe. When I got my complete rig ordered off new egg I had $1200 worth of parts sitting on my front porch when I got home.

You can also just leave a note on the door if you won't be there stating, 'Don't leave package'. Of course you will then have to go and pick it up or wait till the next time they try to deliver.

I had a similar incident. I ordered 1500 worth of parts for my media pc, the guy knocked once, dropped the package at my door, and booked it. I was not pleased. Luckily i always watch tracking times and knew to expect it.

$1200 on your front step. Wow. Mostly when i order things from online it comes through puraltor and has always required a signature. They always just leave a note in the mailbox saying there is a package waiting for me to pick up if i am not around when they come. I should have mentioned i live one of the worst areas in my city. I thought of a solution anyways. I am just going to go get a p.o. box today for dirt cheap and have my things delivered there.

It's "sometimes" not up to UPS. If the shipper/retailer does not choose signature, then it's completely up to the driver's discrection as to wait for you to answer the door or not.

In an iffy neighborhood, I have found out personally, the UPS drivers in my area will not leave a package on doorsteps no matter what the retailer requested. But again, they don't have to do anything they're not paid to do (like re-deliver a non-signature package when no one paid for the option), but it's nice to know that some drivers care.

If you want signature, ask for it when your order from your retailer (if that even an option), UPS most likely won't randomly give out signature services when they aren't paid for, it is a business after all. It's like how you pay extra at the local post office to ship with "confirmation".

P.S. UPS bites hard anyways, they loose so much stuff, heck, more than a couple times packages travelled PAST me a few hundred miles, only to return to the starting point, a hundred miles in the opposite direction! I'm thinking, you could have had that package to me TWICE already, lol. I could literally be at their main terminal for my area in less than 10 minutes.

You have to think on broader terms. If the UPS delivery man/woman were to wait until you arrive at the door to receive your package, say.. another few minutes (on average they usually just leave it at the doorstep and knock for me) then think of the impact that would have overall. Your package would have to be at least a few days late if they were to wait for everyone, these guys go through a serious amount of deliveries in one day.

You can almost always request a signature or call the company and request one.

just track it. Thats what I do. I just wait by the window when I know its going to arrive, ready to pounce on him.

This is fine and dandy, unless you are part of the working class that doesnt get home until after 5, and the delivery drivers stop by at 1.

UPS in my town is quite good. It's FedEx around here that sucks, IMO. Where I work, numerous packages delivered by them have been smashed/tears, etc. Same with a few of my packages by them; box was smashed up AND delivered to the wrong house. Luckily it was delivered to a neighbor that I know/trust. UPS usually waits a few min for me, and I know quite a few of the main drivers as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom