Wanting to upgrade Mobo and GFX card, please help (:

Status
Not open for further replies.

imperviously

Solid State Member
Hello, i have a decent PC atm, specs are:GFX card: amd hd 6850 , proc: i7 860, Mobo:gigabyte p55- ud4p, ram: 8gigs gskill, PSU: 750W corsair.

Well with my specs, i feel its time for me to upgrade my pc again as i hardcore game. it just isnt top notch anymore for me at all. With that being said, i have 500$ left over with the new soundcard and stuff that i just bought, and i feel the 2 things that are holding my pc back is deff. my old Mobo and my GFX card. What GFX card and mobo do you guys recommend me getting?

Also, should i be looking into some thing dual gfx card of these? Newegg.com - XFX Double D FX-777A-ZDF4 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
or just buy one good one?

Let me know what you guys think i can get most out of my money with a 500ish$ budget to upgrade my gaming rig. also want it to be eyenfinity supported.

Thank you guys for your help!

Needing to upgrade Mobo and GFX card for gaming! please help

Hello, i currently want to upgrade my mobo and gfx card as i feel those are the two things that are probably weighing my pc down.
Current specs: gfx: HD 5850
Mobo: gigabyte ud4p-p55
CPU: i7 860
PSU: 750w Corsair
ram: 8gb gskill

That being said, i feel that the best 2 items to upgrade would be my gfx card and Mobo, due to my mobo being old and really cant upgrade anything untill i get a new mobo.
My budget is about 500$ can go a little bit over if its worth it. Want gfx card to be eyefinity supported also, i mostly just hardcore game on my pc btw.
Should i be trying to get 2 gfx card to dual? or just more expensive?
Let me know what you guys think i can get most out of my money.

Re: Needing to upgrade Mobo and GFX card for gaming! please help

Your motherboard is fine. If you want to do max graphics with Eyefinity I would look at a couple of 7950s, but that is out of your budget. You can always try getting a couple of used 5870s.

How many monitors are you using?

GTX 680 can run 3 and their slightly over $500 (if they ever come back in stock).
HD 7970 can run 4.
More than that you'll probably need dual-card.

7970 can't handle full graphics on triple monitors with games like BF3 though. If he could find 2 5870s used or a pair of 6870s I think he would be fine.

Well, if you do get a new board, you rather would want an 1155 (I think yours is 1156?), and maybe an i5 2500K? 1155 will allow you to use the new Ivy Bridge CPUs

my mobo doesnt have any extra 16x slots besides the one my gfx card is in right now. so if i wanted to dual gfx i cant i assume.. so i wanted to get a new mother board for future upgrading or if i want to dual gfx card. Also atm i am using just 2 monitors, but i plan on in the future to get 3 for eyefinity.

Your mobo has a 16x and 8x slot. When occupied (on any P55 board) both slots will be 8x either way. Unless you get 2 7970s then it wont be a problem. If you get any other newer board you will have to upgrade your CPU. If you get another P55 board then in dual card mode you will be stuck with 8/8 anyways.

Your mobo has a 16x and 8x slot. When occupied (on any P55 board) both slots will be 8x either way. Unless you get 2 7970s then it wont be a problem. If you get any other newer board you will have to upgrade your CPU. If you get another P55 board then in dual card mode you will be stuck with 8/8 anyways.
So i should invest in just a new GFX card you think? And why would i need to get a new CPU if i mobo, others aren't compatible? Also, do you think i should try to dual gfx card or just get one better? could i possibly dual gfx card with the one i currently am using with another better one or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom