Wanting to build a new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magma

Baseband Member
A nice well rounded gaming rig. Not sure which way im going to go yet but I do know one thing.

We have cats and a dog...

Dog does not shed but the cats sure do and well what better place to curl up then chairs next to the computer.

So it pulls in all the hair and clogs my current system, as it stands about once a month (I could even do it more) I have to sit down with my compressed air and screwdrivers and take out the fans and heatsync and clean them...

So my question is can I find a case that is more pet proof without killing the budget or the actual space inside for parts.

I do know if it helps.
Oh BTW I am in Canada so newegg is outta the question

I want to run

Dual Processor (maybe 64x?)
2 HDD aprox 200-300gb each
2 DVD drives
Card Reader of some sort
GeForce 8800 maybe or another highend card
at least 2gb of ram if not more.
wireless network card
windows XP not Vista

if thats a help at all.

I will be trying to buy most of it locally at this shop
Memory Express - Desktop & Notebook Computers and Computer Parts
or
TigerDirect.ca - Computer Parts, PC Components, Computers & Electronics

you could get some fan filters to stop your cats hair from entering your case, i couldnt find any on that site though

ObsessedAboutPCs--I like the build since I prefer AMD to Intel but my question now is

How would that system be for gaming over the next 2-3 years?

I noticed you went with the new Geforce 8800 card and Nukem went with a Radeon card. Any reason to why the Nividia over Radeon?

And what is Thermal Paste? I have never heard of it.

Edit: (for reference later) that build is about 1530 if I dont get the rebates on the ram.

Aside from the expense of the card itself, the better of the 2 is the GTX, but I was looking at a mid range budget build. And some people are preferrable to one brand or another... With the new hardware that keeps coming out, you would end up going broke, trying to keep up and stay "bleeding edge" graphics...

The reason I chose INTEL, is performance. The Core2Duo is a better performer overall than AMD's chips right now... Who knows abotu the future, but we'll see... as for gaming for the next couple of years.... I think either build would do you good... but I think it comes down to preference...

Thermal paste is what you want to put on the CPU before you install the heatsink fan to help the transference of heat. if you use the stock fan it will have some on it, and depending on what kind of after market fan you get it will come with some as well... Unless you are going to be building one system after another or doing some major overclocking, would you really need AC5.. it's good mind you.. I have some, but I use my in about 5 different machines... (see my point?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom