Want to upgrade my graphics card and CPU

samthemancpfc

Beta member
Hey at the moment i have a Radeon HD 7850 1gb, and since the next gen consoles are here i think that gaming companies will be making there games with higher graphic qualities and that the specs will have to go up.

so i would prefer a GPU around £100 - £150 maybe £170 they would have to be at least 2GB and will be able to play Bf4 and other titles on either high or Ultra Graphics.I have been looking at the R9 270x 2 GB and the normal 270 2GB also the Radeon HD 7870 2GB

another thing is that i am looking to upgrade my CPU which is AMD Athlon II 640 Quad core to something a little higher, as my birthday is in February my parents said they would get one for me, i am guessing the price range of this CPU would have to be £100 - £150 it also has to be at least 3.4Ghz

thank you for your answers

VRAM and GHz speeds don't show how fast a GPU is. The 270x is actually only slightly higher than the 7870 which isn't a huge jump up in performance compared to the 7850 itself. The smallest upgrade I would do is the 280x if you want to play BF4 on higher settings.

Same goes for CPU, GHz speed doesn't depict how fast a CPU is. It depends on your motherboard what you can put in there.

VRAM and GHz speeds don't show how fast a GPU is. The 270x is actually only slightly higher than the 7870 which isn't a huge jump up in performance compared to the 7850 itself. The smallest upgrade I would do is the 280x if you want to play BF4 on higher settings.

Same goes for CPU, GHz speed doesn't depict how fast a CPU is. It depends on your motherboard what you can put in there.

oh my mistake :p the only reson i thought you had to get at least 2gb on a gpu is because i have heard a lot of people have been saying if you want to play games in higher graphic settings you'll have to have atleast 2gb, and for the CPU, i was mainly thinking of changing it so i can do live streaming and my current one isn't good enough to process to things at once.

i currently have this mother board GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3+ - GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 3.0)

Your current one is plenty fine for that depending on what game you play, but since this is in your budget you might as well.

AMD FX 8350 Black Edition 8 Core Processor 4.00GHz Piledriver Socket AM3+ - FD8350FRHKBOX - Scan.co.uk

As to the GPU, yes that is true to an extent, but you can't go out and buy a 4GB GT 640 thinking it'll play BF4 on ultra because it has a high amount of VRAM. That is marketing BS at its finest. My GTX 580 only has 1.5GB of VRAM and I play games fine because when it came out it was a beast of a card (between GTX 660 and 660ti in performance now). I'm the first to admit it needs more VRAM though.

On the topic of things, my point still stands. The 270x isn't much of an upgrade over the 7850 in terms of raw performance. I would say get your new CPU and see how that fairs for you and if you still need a better GPU save and get the 280x at the minimum or a GTX 760 at least.

Your current one is plenty fine for that depending on what game you play, but since this is in your budget you might as well.

AMD FX 8350 Black Edition 8 Core Processor 4.00GHz Piledriver Socket AM3+ - FD8350FRHKBOX - Scan.co.uk

As to the GPU, yes that is true to an extent, but you can't go out and buy a 4GB GT 640 thinking it'll play BF4 on ultra because it has a high amount of VRAM. That is marketing BS at its finest. My GTX 580 only has 1.5GB of VRAM and I play games fine because when it came out it was a beast of a card (between GTX 660 and 660ti in performance now). I'm the first to admit it needs more VRAM though.

On the topic of things, my point still stands. The 270x isn't much of an upgrade over the 7850 in terms of raw performance. I would say get your new CPU and see how that fairs for you and if you still need a better GPU save and get the 280x at the minimum or a GTX 760 at least.

Thanks for all your help, really appreciate it! thanks a lot :D

Btw, if you do buy the CPU, get that one. It's the best that will come out from AMD as a dedicated CPU. There will either be no more, or it will be a very long time until AMD releases another dedicated CPU.

Back
Top Bottom